Parcel Shelf Clips & Pins for Mk2 - 3D Printed

Items for sale, remember to include a price and where in the world you are.
craigwalton
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Parcel Shelf Clips & Pins for Mk2 - 3D Printed

Post by craigwalton » Thu May 11, 2017 8:29 pm

After buying my first Scirocco, I designed and 3D printed a pair of parcel shelf mounting clips and mounting plugs. A year and a half later they're still working great and not showing signs of wear or deterioration. I thought maybe other members of the forum could benefit from this too.

I designed and printed the equivalents (optimised for 3D printing as opposed to injection mounding) for the original parts:
Mounting Clip (155867787)
Mounting Plug (171867783A)

Both are printed in black ABS. The mounting clips are fixed to the car with an M4 nut and bolt to reduce the part's fragility and the likelihood of pulling the clips out when you remove the parcel shelf. The bolt's head sits sub-flush to the pivot surface. The mounting plugs are simply a (gentle) press fit, much like the original part and have the same diameter, so are interchangeable. I now own a pair of original mounting plugs and can confirm that they work just fine with the 3D printed mounting clips.

I'm happy to print more of these at the cost of material, keeping my printer running, my time finishing the parts (inspecting and removing support material). For £8, I'll post:
- 2x mounting clip
- 2x mounting plug
- 2x M4 bolt
- 2x M4 nut
- 2x M4 washer
- 2nd Class UK mainland postage

I'm based in Edinburgh. Let me know if you're interested!

Above: Clip in situ. The shelf on my Scirocco is slightly squint/bent.
Above: Also works with an original pin.
Above: Closes flush.

https://youtu.be/V5wQX9JEAPk
Above: pin snaps into clip and won't fall out if you drive over bumps.

OaklandTodd
I drive a: Other

Re: Parcel Shelf Clips & Pins for Mk2 - 3D Printed

Post by OaklandTodd » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

hello, i have a 1978 scirocco and after 40 years the mounting clips have broken and it's been extremely difficult to find replacements. i see what you have done here and if for sale, i would love to purchase a pair. i am in the states and will gladly pay shipping and can pay by pay pal or however it works best.

thanks ! todd