Daz

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Daz

Post by Brunty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 pm

To finish the engine build that Daz has fitted would cost another couple of thousand which, unfortunately, I don't have. Coupled with the fact that he may be getting rented out for track days next year has lead me to rethink what engine I have goes where...

I've ended up deciding to refit his old engine, the 1.8 8v with weber 40s. It's got about 130-140 bhp, so not slow. Bonus is that with the other mods I've made to cooling the engine should run flat out all day long 8-) It'll also use slightly less fuel :thumbup:

The full on 210bhp 1.8 16v shall move into FUT in all likelihood and with the income generated from left over parts hopefully will get the direct to head throttle bodies and proper ecu it deserves. It'll then be my daily driver :shock:

I've started on my plans, I have a stainless 4-2-1 in the post for the 8v and I've started cleaning up wheels that will fit over the Wilwood 4 pot brakes with 280mm discs. Slightly toned down from the 305mm 4 pot Brembos that are fitted currently, but also a fair bit lighter. The roll cage that I've had cluttering up the garage for the last year and a half will go in over winter as well.

All that, and a colour change! Not white Daz any more... Might be needing a new name :cry:
Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:34 pm

big changes mate, have you not thought about doing hill climbs, you may get a better chance of fitting it around your team racing :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

True, and I have thought about it (hillclimbing and sprints), but the engine change would drop a class in the VAG trophy to C where the car would be better suited anyway :thumbup:
Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:45 am

well, at least you'll be able to do some racing when your not out with the team :) and remember if you make it Oulton Park, let me know and i'll help out in your pit, you know makeing the brews and making up the numbers lol

seriously though would love to help if you need it :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Finally got things started. Not quite "over the winter" though! :lolno: It was a very cold winter, mind....

I took out the race engine a few weeks ago and it's still sitting in front of Daz hanging from the hoist with gearbox attached. About the same time I took the old engine to the workshop. Last Saturday I mounted up the old 8v on an engine stand and stripped it down. I haven't bothered looking at the head since I only did a couple of thousand miles since I built it, but I might take the valves out to clean them up if I have some time.

I was very happy with the insides of the bottom end, 130,000 odd miles, I never really took it easy doing lots of commuting with track days at the weekend and the occasional evening blast. Good 'ol VW :) The big end bearings look pretty much as new, so they're going back in. The bores look pretty good as well, some light marks but the honing marks are very visible still. All the main bearing shells look excellent as well, apart from one half of one half! Weird pitting is on it's face, no idea why and never seen anything like it. So they're all getting changed.

I've been waiting a few days for some parts, gaskets and such, so the rebuild will be in a couple of days.

Don't drag a steel sumped engine around :prob:

Some nasty sediment had settled in the oil at the bottom of the sump. It's got £55/gallon race oil in and been sitting a few years, so if your car's been sitting, make sure you do an oil change followed by an oil flush and change...

How to undo the crank sprocket bolt.

Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:24 am

Glad to see your spending time with one of the loves of your life lol

I take it plans for using it are in hand?
Eefy AKA Heath

The Interceptor
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by The Interceptor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 pm

eefy wrote:Glad to see your spending time with one of the loves of your life lol
:prob: :think: :thumbdown:
MK 3. Deep black pearl Scirocco R, 280ps.
MK 2. Pearl grey metallic 1.8 GT (project car)

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Planning on being road worthy by the end of the month :thumbup:
Brunty

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:16 pm

I have every confidence in you that you'll do it.
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat May 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Brum Brumm!!!! :P
Brunty