Daz

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Daz

Post by Brunty » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:34 pm

Daz was a rally car in a previous life. I'm not sure how good he was or how many rallies he competed in. But it obviously ended in tears with a bent rear beam.

He looked like this when I picked him up...

The engine looked ok, a 1.6 Golf mk1 gti lump with twin weber 40s and a gti close ratio 'box as well. I was well chuffed to be trailering him up the country (Big thanks to the Misses too as we shared the driving, but Nicola did a lot of the return journey which went on well into the early hours), the bodywork was remarkably good considering he'd been sitting out in the open for close to 10 years. Just a few scrapes where boulders and trees had got into the way...
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Re: Daz

Post by Brunty » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:49 pm

I got the engine running but it didn't feel quite right. Turned out that the bores were rather worn, probably due to the copious amounts of fuel keeping the bores clean... It also turned out the the clutch plate had fallen apart, the valve seats had moved and letting a load of compressed gasses past and a couple of other niggly little problems.

I pulled the 1.6 out and built up a 1.8 with a ported head and the cam and solid lifters from the 1.6, and a lightened flywheel. It ran well once I got the carbs set up and upset Little Paul in his new Fiesta ST(150bhp).

At that point Daz looked like this!

Brunty

LittlePaul
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by LittlePaul » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:21 pm

And I was trying.... :(

LP
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:20 pm

I was watching the video again the other day. Makes me LOL :lol:
Brunty

LittlePaul

Post by LittlePaul » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Evil.............. :twisted:
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 pm

Next I decided to upgrade the brakes and grip. I managed to get myself a burned out Scirocco from a chap from the original Scirocco UK list, he bought the ex-race Scirocco that I found for sale. It was really ace when he got it with just a bent front end (tyre wall = :( ), but unfortunately a problem with the install in his re-shell caused a nasty fire which destroyed almost all of it.

Anyway, the brakes were ok :D So on went the 280mm Wilwood 4 pots and FUTs Compomotive MO 15*7 ET20 with Indy Sport semi-slick tyres.

Mmmmm.... Ooober grip :D

I figured that the suspension wasn't quite right for the grippy tarmac rally tyres, so I fitted a set of Gaz fully adjustables...

Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:46 pm

I ran Daz like that for a few months, but a few problems with cooling and, I felt :roll: , a slight lack of power, made me think about a rebuild with a few extras added on...

So I stripped him down. Don't think I took many pics then though.

Cage out.

The strip down was done in a couple of days (there wasn't much to take out!)
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:06 am

There were a few nasty bits for me to uncover. Mostly the roll cage mounts... The floor had rusted quite badly where the weld met the floor metal -

The worst being the drivers footwell. The car had been sitting for almost a decade before I got my mitts on it and the boot at least had filled with water. The lead weights had rusted off the spare wheel for example! Overall the car was in pretty good, solid condition. The wheel arches weren't great, but not too bad.

I plated up the rusty bits and removed all that sound insulation stuff (5 kilos btw)

and set about buying some paint. I've never done bodywork before, so this was all new to me. Found a good place via ebay that sells all the painting supplies you'll ever need. So as it was new I started with the engine bay :D
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:16 am

I was immensely chuffed with my first attempt at spraying :D Even if it was only undercoat!

This was closely followed by the interior of the car, which I don't seem to have a record of... Then came the mammoth job of masking up! And undercoating -

I'd already done a load of filler-ing up of the various scrapes and bashes Daz had received over the years as a working car, so the undercoat was looking good.
Brunty

LittlePaul

Post by LittlePaul » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:10 am

Its looking GREAT btw......

totally need to get X out and about... and maybe fixed up like he deserves!!!!!!!!

LP
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX