The Storm

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: The Storm

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Ryan001 wrote:Thanks Brunty, I've been a bit preoccupied lately and haven't had time for the car :( . Don't want you to think badly of me though!! I had a look at Daz, I'm impressed with the paint job, it must have been difficult!!
Ha, I was pulling your leg. Tim is the worst at updates :lol:

Daz was ok to do. I was a noob when it came to bodywork and the only thing I did wrong was not putting enough top coat on. But hey, it's a lightweight car! The body was solid in all the right places too, the only bits of welding I had to do were inside wheel arches and such.
Brunty

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Not too bad on top but a but rough underneath! :lol:

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:41 pm

I could do with having a go at spraying, I need a bigger garage though!

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 am

Success!! I've had a bit of e-mail tennis with Karin at Auto-Teile in Germany (as suggested by Brunty) and have got a pair of rear wheel arch repair panels on order for less than £100. The hard part is finding a body shop that won't say "sorry mate we only do insurance jobs". Things are moving along nicely :mrgreen:

sciroccokartei
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by sciroccokartei » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 pm

Great car, please register ;)
Greetings Gregor

User: 554 - Cars: 2326
http://www.corradokartei.de

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Look Everyone! a shiny bit of metal has appeared in my office.... and less than a week since I ordered it from Germany!

Thanks to Brunty for the tip-off!!

No more rusty arch problems for me!

They were a pleasure to deal with, and took paypal for payment. Altogether it cost £88 quid for both arches including delivery.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:27 pm

That really is a bit of a bargain... Hope you are good with a welder!
Brunty

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Look out, here comes an update :wave:

Sorry for not updating for.... well ages.

I managed to get a replacement interior for the storm. Just a standard one from an 87 GT but at least i can put the leather into dry storage so it doesn't go nasty in my garage. I also managed to get the guy to throw in the rear axle (the idea being to clean it up and paint it and replace the one on the car).

Chrismas was fun! I asked for Scirocco stuff off friends and family and managed to get 4 new shocks, springs, brake drums, cylinders, braided lines and a myriad of other bits to help push things along. My lovely wife even bought me a new fuel tank (although i did get a few very odd comments when I told people I had got a petrol tannk for chrismas :lol: )

No sooner than I got all these bits we decided we needed an extension, but at least that means the freezer and the drier will be out of my garage!!

I'll have a go at getting some pictures up this weekend!!

Hope all is well with everyone!!

Ry

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Tue May 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Glad things are finally moving mate, defo get some pics up, oh and take your time unbolting the rear axle when you do the tank, snapped a bold on the donor car when i did mine!!!!!

is the car on the road or is it a full on garage project?
Eefy AKA Heath

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:17 pm

It's a garage project at the moment. To be honest I haven't got anything too complicated to do. The top half of the car is mint - i'm just replacing everything you can't see. Hopefully the idea is to keep the car indefinitely, so anything that can rust needs to come off, get stripped, painted and put back on. I'm gonna give the new fuel tank a good few coats of agricultural grade metal paint along with the filler neck, rear axle and wishbones etc. I can't imagine these things will be easy to come by in 10 years time!

Thanks for the tip on the trailing arm, plenty of wd40 a few days before should do the trick.

I was thinking of putting powerflex bushes on the whole car, does anyone know how this will affect handling etc. I'm assuming they will last much longer than rubber ones, particularly in dry storage.