The Storm

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

The Storm

Post by Ryan001 » Sun May 18, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi All,

Pictures as promised, Would welcome any comments!!

I managed to get hold of an original Storm Melbourne radio - Auto reverse no less!!

First job is to replace the fuel tank and filler neck. I want to keep everything as original as possible (imo there's nothing worse than a Storm painted black with enourmous wheels). How original is original though?? Do we think I can get away with a stainless exhaust? (no silly trim or loud noise though) :lol:

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: The Storm

Post by Brunty » Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Wow, that's stunning!

I know where you are coming from with the modifying a Storm problem. I've considered it many times when thinking about getting a Storm myself.

I decided to keep it externally original, but things like suspension, manifold and exhaust and camshaft were free. No silly big exhaust tip though, personal favorite was the Jetex look, either one or two oval tailpipes.
Brunty

Tim
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Tim » Mon May 19, 2008 10:17 am

very clean! i think with it being so clean, a stainless pipe is all i would do. id even keep the suspension and engine as std. lets face it, you arent going to track day it and to crash it would be a disaster.

erm, black and big wheels....???
inspiration required- would settle for crystal meth
87 rocco
93 405 diesel estate 'bonfire' for work and dog
68 fiat dino coupe
actually got the T25 and wish i hadnt

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Guys,

Just thought i'd check in and give you all an update on progress (or lack of it :lol:).
After a busy couple of months I decided to get started and begun by stripping off the bodykit....... BIG mistake! All the rear arches are shot and the bodykit was siliconed on - never a good sign. So the first job is to go to the body repair shop and have the arches rebuilt.....then painted........then waxoyled multiple times. I've decided to get the whole car resprayed the original colour (I know it looks ok on the photo's but there are a good few dodgy dink repairs lurking). At least this way I can get an even finish.

Anyone at Tatton this weekend???

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:22 pm

very nice mate, sorry about the rear arches, hopfully mine will be better when it gets restored in a few years!!!!!!

as for Tatton, i'll be there, the Rocco is on the VagOwners stand :) pop over and say hello :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Another update on progress! I've saved up a few quid to get the rear arches sorted although i'm not familiar with bodywork problems. Does anyone know how they repair this kind of thing? The rust is quite bad an has eaten away the return lip (if you know what i mean) completely. It also goes down about an inch or so into the sill and rear quarter. Will the spray shop need a donor car or will they build it back up without? I got a pair of Karmann pillar badges off ebay which i'm going to have a go at re-touching, i've also found a vinyl manufacturer who can replicate the rear stickers so if anyone out there needs a set let me know!

I missed Tatton 'cos of work, when's the next do??

Hope you are all well

Ryan

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Hi Ryan, I think you must be almost as bad as Tim for the frequency of updates ;)

If you take the car to a good bodyshop then they should be able to rebuild the rusty bits with new sheet metal. Your alternative is to buy arch repair sections. There is a place in Germany that does them. I can't find the link at the moment, but I will...

The bonus with just building it back up is that it's all covered by the body kit anyway, so as long as it's all strong you're ok.
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Here it is.

http://www.atp-autoteile.de/Hitlist.aspx?ctp=1785893

I think that's the right page too
Brunty

Ryan001
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Ryan001 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks Brunty, I've been a bit preoccupied lately and haven't had time for the car :( . Don't want you to think badly of me though!! I had a look at Daz, I'm impressed with the paint job, it must have been difficult!!

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk3 R 280

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Lovely looking Storm looks in fantastic condition :D
Bluestreak56
Now Scirocco-less :(
64 BMW X4 20D M Sport Auto (Sophisto Grey & Ivory White)