Project Skyrocket

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
blue
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Project Skyrocket

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi, after years of false starts and running out of money, time and enthusiasm my project car is almost fit for the road. So thought I would share a few photo's of how it has gone.

I bought the car (1987 Scala 1.8 8v carb in Alpine white) back in 2003. It was in decent shape with only a few jobs needed to get through the MOT. I paid £50 for it and intended to give it a quick tidy up and sell it on for a profit. When I got it, it had a flat tire and wasn't running right. On inspection it turned out a couple of vac hoses had fallen off the Pierburg, so I reconnected these and boom, it ran fine.
That was until I tried to drive it to the motor club, damn thing kept cutting out on me. Turns out the dreaded rot had set in to the fuel filler neck and rust fragments had fallen in to the tank blocking the pickup. So this was removed and after my local stealership quoted £120 for a new one, I went on the hunt for a second hand unit. Turns out my mate was race prepping a Mk1 Golf so I purloined his filler neck then had my cap end welded in place of the non-compatible Golf one.

So at this point I started to discover other little niggely bits that I wasn't happy with and before I knew what was what the paint was stripped back, the exterior was stripped and the engine removed.

Image Image

Since the car had done 178k I decided it would be good to replace the engine, so a fully recon unit was sourced from TES in Kent. It came as a recon block with all new internals, a new head with hyd lifters and reground stock cam, all painted and pretty . Once I had all the ancillaries/gearbox etc bolted on and the engine fitted I discovered some parts of the Pierburg E2E had decided to make a bid for freedom and were long gone, resulting in one very poorly carburettor.
Sooooo I decided to get a set of these….

Last edited by blue on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Project Skyrocket

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Twin 40’s fitted and the bad boy ran. A little rough and in need of correct setting, but it ran. Nice!!!

Back to the body work. Turns out some Muppet has touched in some paintwork with what seemed to be silk emulsion. That’s the only way I can describe the paint that was coming off. It was almost like rubber when rubbed with the wet and dry. Bizarre.
Only one thing for it!! The whole car was rubbed down, some car park dings tidied up and the whole thing covered in high build primer before being shipped off to the painters for a nice fresh coat of Alpine Weiss.

Image Image
Image ImageImage ImageImage

After getting the car back from the painter the outer finish was lovely. My only issue was the spray dust that had found it’s way into the engine bay and covered my nice new looking painted engine.  Hay ho, such is life. I refitted all the exterior trim/lights/bumpers etc but decided to leave the black rubber strip and the ‘B’ pillar covering off. I think this gives a nice clean look to the car.

It had taken three years of the odd night/weekend here and there to get to this point. Which is where it stayed for the next two years. Then came time to move it from the motor club on camp and out to my newly acquired workshop. I should point out I was in the RAF at this point and in the process of leaving thus the change of storage. Anyway, the car was shoved in the corner of the workshop covered over and essentially forgotten about for the next five years. Ooops!! It wasn’t costing me anything and was out of the way. You know, out of sight out of mind.
Last edited by blue on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Then one afternoon whilst tinkering on one of the many motors laying around the workshop (they are not all mine) I randomly uncovered the VW and started back in.
The first job was fitting the worlds tiniest steering wheel (courtesy of Momo) and a shiny new gear nob. Not big or taxing jobs, but hey it was a start.

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Image Image

I then decided it was time to crack on with the big jobs that had been sat in a box waiting to be fitted. So up on the ramp she went and the tear down began.

I started by replacing the front lower wish bones complete with new polly bushes and re-drilled to take Passat GT lower ball joints. The front hubs were replaced with Passat GT hubs with the uprights machined and drilled to fit the shiny new coilovers. The anti-roll bar mounts and bushes were replaced with brand new items and polly bushes. The flexi brake hoses were replaced with stainless steel braided items. The Passat GT front callipers were also fitted with grooved discs and Mintex carbon tech pads. The callipers were already red when I got them. Looks all nice and shiny don’t you agree?

Image Image Image

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 pm

On to the rear. The rear beam was dropped and the bushes replaced with polly items. Then the rear coilovers were installed. At first these had the wheel hub sitting well up in to the arch so lots of adjustment was required.

Next up the rear drums, shoes and backing plates were removed and skipped. In their place I fitted stub axles from a Mk2 Golf 16v with grooved discs, Mintex carbon tech pads and matching Mk2 Golf 16v callipers. To which new stainless steel braided hoses were fitted. Now the handbrake cable wouldn’t fit so a Mk2 16v item was sourced and fitted.

Image Image

To help with rigidity and in the interest of high speed cornering safety I bolted in a rear upper strut brace.

Image Image

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:59 pm

With the chasis upgrades fitted I bolted on the new wheels (the snowflakes wouldn’t clear the front callipers) shod in Yokohama’s finest, and dropped her of the ramp. Ahhh corners were all at different heights. Back up on the ramp and the coilover ride heights were adjusted. However with it sitting the way I wanted it I discovered the back end was ridiculously stiff (my 20stone mate could barely compress it), so the back end was lowered suitably to reduce the spring pre-load just so.

Image Image Image Image Image

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:02 pm

I managed to lay my hands on a ported polished big valve head and lumpy fast road cam from a friend who had gone down a different engine route so set about stripping it down and lapping the valves in.

With the big valve head built, the brand new only run up a couple of times, head was removed and the big valve one fitted. With all the cam timing set and the twin 40’s tweaked as best I could without the kit or any idea of what I was doing, she was wheeled outside and given a good clean before heading of to the rolling road.

Image Image Image Image

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Disaster!!!!!! A phone call from the rolling road guy to say all had gone wrong and she had thrown a couple of bucket shims!!! After a bit of investigation it turns out the lumpy cam was designed for use with hydraulic lifters and my big valve head ran mechanical lifters. So even though I had set shim gaps the slap of the cam lobes on the shims was enough to bounce a couple out of their buckets and destroy the tappets. Bugger!!!!!
Got the car home and swapped back to the new unused hydraulic lifter head, swapped in the, thankfully, undamaged lumpy cam and set all the timing again. What a saga so far. This was where, when manovering the car around the workshop I discovered that the rear callipers weren’t actually doing a lot and the handbrake mech’s on them were shot. More expense!! Two new callipers sourced and fitted. Only for the brand new, previously fitted a few weeks ago handbrake cable not to fit on the drivers’ side ?!?!?!?!? How? The callipers are the same spec. Stuff it, the cars booked in. Trailer up and off to the rolling road she go’s.

blue
Beginner
Beginner

Post by blue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:03 pm

So six weeks later, after a holiday to the ‘ring where my VR4 decided to have all sorts of issues (collapsed wheel bearing, shorted out coil pack, thermocouple fell out the exhaust, bonnet opened at 90mph on motorway) and a heft work load I finally managed to get through to the rolling road guy and collect her.

She made 115bhp and 120lbf of torque. Not bad for a 27 year old motor that originally left the factory with what 90ish bhp. I drove her home on trade plates as I couldn’t get hold of a trailer and really I was desperate to see what she would be like. Bearing in mind I haven’t properly driven her in 11years. Well I can tell you, she makes all the right noises, seems to pull well and handles like a go-kart. But, Damn she is slow!!!! I guess it’s because I am used to driving a 430bhp 4wd Mitsubishi as my daily. But over all not a bad drive. Oh, other than getting stopped by the police and questioned about the trade plates, apparently some local garages have been misusing their trade plates. But it all boiled down to the two coppers just wanting a chat about the car more than anything, both commenting on the rarity of such a motor these days, and asking about build. Still she’s home in the workshop now and ready for the last round of tinkering.
Jobs to do:-
• Replace handbrake cable
• Set rear callipers
• Replace master cylinder with G60 item
• Re-bleed brakes
• Adjust headlight alignment
• Sort tracking/castor
• Get MOT
• Fit stereo and speakers (eventually)

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Nice job. Makes me feel better about having FUT of the road since 06/07 ish!

You may find that the handbrake cables you're after are the scirocco mk2 16v items. I'm not actually sure how the mk2 golf cables fit ie good or bad, but the scirocco cables are the known to work ones.
Brunty