Flash

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Flash

Post by Brunty » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am

Over the last year I've treated Flash a bit.

I whipped the engine out as it was messy with oil leaks and I wanted to upgrade the turbo to a K03s. I bought the turbo as a "good 2nd hand" unit, but when it turned up I decided that there was too much play, so i got a new core that was advertised as being balanced to a silly high figure and rebuilt it.

It ran really well with the stage 1 ecu as other mods even though the power is a little on/off towards the bottom of the pedal. Wheelspin is acheivable at 90mph in the damp. Even though, it's been a great, useable daily driver through the year.
I upgraded the turbo intake pipe and redid the intercooler piping while I was at it.

Gives some pretty impressive acceleration now (even though there's wheelspin almost the whole time) 8-)

Lastly this year, I decided to remove the nice, but slightly restrictive 2.25" exhaust system for a 2.5". I went for the only off the shelf system available, the Jetex 2.5" twin oval. The only issue being the front of the exhaust is designed to fit onto a standard Scirocco's downpipe, so the front silencer is not 2.5"! My turbo downpipe is 2.5" and I'm not running the standard rod shift gearbox, so I've got loads of space. The obvious thing to do was to remove the centre section and run a straight 2.5" pipe from downpipe to the over axle section, which is 2.5".
Also, running a turbo engine makes it incredibly quiet!!! Even removing the centre box hasn't increased the noise noticeably, but the turbo is now much happier.
Unfortunately it's now so happy I'll be needing a remap because It's clearly running lean on boost. (Rich as you like on idle and low boost though as is the way on safe maps).

A nice bonus is that Jetex no longer make the mild steel aluminised systems and have now upgraded their systems to full stainless. They are pretty heavy, but feel well put together and should last longer than the mild systems - I've had two of those fall apart before.
Brunty