Flash

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Flash

Post by Brunty » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:24 pm

All back together and MOT'd, no advisories :)
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 pm

What started out as a simple clutch change ended up with me mooching around wondering what else I could do to the poor thing...

I think every Scirocco has a rust hole here (where the fuel filler neck is spot welded to the body). So sorted that.

And I decided that I need a harness rather than the inertia belt. So I made a reinforcement plate for the rear straps.

And then I remembered that I have a Safety Devices roll cage in the back of my garage. I could just fit the rear half to save me chopping up the dashboard.

Quite a bit of fabbing up of reinforcement plates and a bit of weld spatter burns later I decided it was time for pizza and beer.

Also, as the clocks change, I have a 4am start tomorrow :(
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Whilst doing the wheel alignment yesterday I found that the steering rack isn't centralised, I think this is causing the steering to feel odd so will look into it on Friday.
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:52 pm

All being well, I'll have an update for this thread very soon! Looks like I've stagnated for a year!!
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:32 pm

OK, Flash has had a little work over the last month or so. Mostly a consolidation of parts that I've got on my other project cars that are not currently being used...

So, firstly the big Brembo 4 pots on new 305mm drilled and grooved discs. I was pleased to find that I have 2 sets of wheels that (just) go over these monsters. Gaz Gold coil overs and front top and bottom strut braces.

While I was checking things over I found a dodgy CV joint, a knackered wheel hub and split steering rack gator. New wheel hubs are available quite cheaply now :)

The engine was hemorrhaging oil so I got a bottom end gasket kit and renewed the seals and sump gasket. The sump had also taken a LOT of punishment from speed bumps or being run up a curb, I bent it back into shape with my hydraulic press! Came out quite well :)

I finally fitted an airbox for the carbs that Dad had got whilst the car was under his care. It turned out to be a bit more involved to fit than originally thought. Slight relocation of the alternator and radiator. The radiator plumbing has been completely altered and is suffering very slight seepage, so I may try out a spiral reinforced coolant pipe.

Next I've got some suspension geometry to sort, a harness bar/strut brace to weld in and an MOT to get. Trackday booked in less than 2 weeks. And I'm sitting here typing this!!
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:31 pm

MOT time. The short drive here didn't feel too good! I shall call this MOT part 1...

Horribly imbalanced brakes is the main problem. That'll be either a rear brake caliper or the master cylinder I suspect. Will wait to see what their brake tester says.

That's if they can figure out how to start and drive the thing, never seen so many incompetents together!
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Amazingly it passed!

Brake balance looks fine on the print out, so I'll put it down to new brakes bedding in for now... Now to tax and then work on track readiness!
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:19 am

After welding in the reinforcing plate for the harness I've gone and decided to fit a harness bar/rear strut brace. The materials are cheap enough so I've made it all myself...

And yes, I know the harness and car in general looks filthy! It actually looks worse in the pics, but it'll get a small clean this week :)
Brunty

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Gorgeous day yesterday for the first proper run for Flash. Up around Matlock and Chesterfield for a blast, window open, fantastic :D

Brunty