HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making!

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
treefingers
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala Rocco 8v to 16

Post by treefingers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah I thought it was nice. Not sure where the photo is from.. I do know the car was imported from the Isle of Man in 1996 and was owned by the Royal Bank of Canada!?

I did think about adding some triangulation tonight but I think the curved bit being welded all around to the bottom plate will act as triangulation.

Finished the brace tonight, looks a lot better I think!

And these arrived today finally :)

It's early now but I've been researching and I think I'm getting a good picture of what I'm going to use for the conversion. All I want is a really fun car I can use as my daily, take to tracks, the alps, the nurburgring.. around 200-220bhp will be more than enough, most importantly it needs great handling.

So I'm thinking:

Engine:
AGU engine. I was going to go AUQ which is 180bhp standard but I've decided on an AGU because it'll be cheap, they're plentiful, and it has cable throttle. Think I need bigger injectors?
Upgrade to K03s turbo. No need to go for K04 as I don't want to push for that much power. Can make up a downpipe easily enough with some pre-bent pipe. Then a 2.5" single tip exhaust, probably Jetex or similar.
MK3 diesel 02a box, CTN os ASD. Haven't decided which one. I've read a lot that many people find the ratios pretty good and 5th is quite cruisy. I'll choose whichever box is going to make the car more fun. :) Will need to fab an engine mount on this side. Undecided on an LSD at the moment. Don't know if I'll need one? Need to find out if this box is cable shift?
BMW E30/E36 radiator to delete the bubble expansion tank.
Not sure about intercoolers. I know I need a big one but that's it!
And not 100% what I should do for management. I want cheap and easy.. I was thinking megasquirt for easy but an AGU ECU de-immobilized for cheap? I know the wiring is going to be a PITA anyway. I'd quite like to keep the rocco clocks however.

Chassis:
Front upper strut brace, front lower subframe (need to make this), crossmember brace and rear uppper strut brace. These'll all be red. So it'll be black car, silver engine and red details.. :)
Eibach anti-roll bars
Polybushes all round.
Some decent adjustable coilovers, need to research which ones. If I can get a decent second hand set for somewhere around £6-700 that'll be a good way to go. if not some nice new ones :)

Brakes:
Astra GTE front calipers with 256mm discs
Stock rear drums
Braided hoses
Wheels? who knows yet! They'll be the last thing!

Also not sure about fuelling, I guess I can use the standard rocco injection setup. What have I missed?! Don't know yet. But anyway that's the plan!

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 am

Arch repair tonight. The repair panels will work but I'm not 100% happy with the quality, the lip is less sharp and the inner rim was all bent up on one when I received it! Filler and the whacking stick methinks!

Cutting out the crap

Note how the lip is more curved on the panel Also the arch line doesn't match up. Maybe these are just meant for going on top? Still I'm happy to have them. I'd be screwed without em. I spent so long working out how to position the repair patch.. A bit too long!

Slapped some primer on.. Other side tomorrow night.

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:18 am

Arch repair tonight. The repair panels will work but I'm not 100% happy with the quality, the lip is less sharp and the inner rim was all bent up on one when I received it! Filler and the whacking stick methinks!

Cutting out the crap

Note how the lip is more curved on the panel Also the arch line doesn't match up. Maybe these are just meant for going on top? Still I'm happy to have them. I'd be screwed without em. I spent so long working out how to position the repair patch.. A bit too long!

Slapped some primer on.. Other side tomorrow night.

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:20 am

Feel buzzing tonight. Think it's because I'm basically one wheel arch away from getting the beast into the spray booth..

D/S arch was a bit more rotten. You could get your hand inside the inner wing! So chop chop choppidy chop

A bit of rear end air conditioning?

Used the remains from the offside rear arch to build up the inner arch..
I'll seam weld underneath tomorrow. Used weld through primer for the first time today. Gotta make sure I seal everything up good!

More repairs, nothing spectacular I'm afraid! I think I'm slowly getting somewhere. I actually chilled out tonight rather than going flat out and I enjoyed it! It's important to enjoy the process. Once this thing's complete i know I'll miss it!

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:31 am

Enjoying every minute of this.
There was a similar thread to this a few months back that just vanished.
I think it was the enormity of the job that he had given himself to do that must have killed it.
I am glad to see that your enthusiasm hasn't faltered and long may it continue.
Always wished for a place to work on my car but never been able to get somewhere suitable. :mrgreen:
Keep up the good work.
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks man. I've actually just been thinking tonight how grateful I am to have the space and facilities to be able to do what I've wanted to for a long time. As I'm doing it all on my own at the moment I have to keep setting myself little goals to keep motivated. And I've started talking to myself in the workshop.. eek

I got the outer arch welded tonight. Sprayed weld through primer on the inner arch then bought some Upol seam sealer from Halfords and brushed it between the inner and outer rims. I'm not sure how they seal these from the factory because you can't weld through seam sealer? I'd have thought they'd use some sort of sealant there.
I tacked at these intervals, then the same intervals between the first tacks and so on and so on and so on until..

and these came today :)

I'm just thinking aloud here.. trying to work out if there's any area I've missed to improve the handling and make a really fun responsive car? Good quality coilovers, uprated arbs, full polybushes, upper and lower front braces, crossmember brace, rear upper brace? I definitely don't want a cage, that's outside of where I want this thing to go. Perhaps I need to look at wheel and tyre width next. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making!

Post by Brunty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 am

Looking good :)

I'm trying to remember how the inner and outer wing join from the factory. Could be spot welds...

You're going the right way with the handling. Years ago I thought that the Scirocco shell was really good, but with the advances manufacturers have made I realise just how much flex there is. You realise when you drive a Scirocco with a cage as it ties it all together.

I wouldn't go over the top with wheels/tyres, you can get masses of grip from 195s, and anything bigger than a 15" rim upsets the handling a little. The 16" speedlines on Flash are the max really and only because they're quite light in weight.

While you're in the welding phase have a think about your seat. It's an ideal time to fit mounts for a fixed bucket, just be aware that the floor is NOT flat! I think I updated my project thread on JUG to include the mounts, they aren't pretty but they're not in a road car :)
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm gonna keep the standard seat mounts but good thinking! :)

It was nice to have a week off from the car. I was pushing myself too much that I was doing it out of habit and not enjoyment so a break was good! I need to keep up the pace though to get this finished in the next few months. If I finish it in March I'll be happy! I saw an interview with James Hunt the 70s F1 driver and he said in his race career he was doing an intense amount of work in a short period of time so that he was free to relax over the rest of his life.. that's what I want to do with this. Alright, so he didn't live past 45 but you get the idea.. more done now means more fun later!!

I couldn't get a lot of pictures as my phone kept dying on me while I was at the workshop but I'll try and fill you in on where I am now with my little boyo.

The front bumper sticks out a little too far from stock for my liking. I removed a 10mm section from the brackets on the back of the bumper and re-welded them together. The bumper now sits back nicely and the sides line up with the lines on the wings. This was a long process however, much re-cutting and re-welding was needed the get the bumper sitting flat and centred! I was relieved when I finally got this right.

Glass out ready for respray! This was a lot easier that I thought it would be. The front windscreen was cracked so I laid on the floor inside the car and kicked it out!

Gave him a vacuum out inside

At this point as I thought the car was completely ready for the body shop I just had a quick look under the sills (I'd expected them to be perfect). Alas they were not! All 4 corners were rusty! Two corners weren't too bad, I managed to get away with grinding off the rust and coating some seam sealer (will do underseal later). The other two needed some repair work. This was the worst culprit, by the F/S rear arch. Cut out ze crust yah..

And fab'd up two repair sections from 1.6mm steel. Sprayed them with weld through primer, tacked the front on, then the underside, then slowly spotted a seam along the front. To do this without putting heat into the panel takes forever! Seam sealed all underneath..

Rolled the arches too. I'm not going to run this car stupid low but I thought it couldn't hurt as it is getting sprayed anyway. But a bit of advice to anyone rolling arches.. Take extra special care if the arches have been repaired already! the front and one rear arch rolled OK but the rear P/S arch is f-cked now, it's all kinked and some repair welds have cracked due to the stretching. After spending so long getting the repair right it was a bit frustrating to say the least! I'm going to have to do some beating and rolling work to get this in shape for filler now :( When I get home I sit down and write a list of all the good things I've achieved, helps me through the frustrating stuff! Things I'm really looking forward to are..
- rolling Herman out of the paint shop
- actually putting things back on! lights, handles etc..
- fitting the coil overs and setting ride height
- spraying all the little bits like brake callipers, linkages, braces etc
- dropping the engine in :) :)

I've been so excited to get this thing all nice and painted up.. It's all I've ben thinking about for weeks, it'll definitely mean I'm onto the next phase! body work takes so long and can be really unrewarding until it is all finished! It was booked into the body shop today so I was all excited before I went to sleep last night. Got up nice and early, made a wicked few playlists for the CD player, packed some jammie dodgers and lime pie crunch creams (best biscuits in the world) and got to the shop at 9am to find that we can't start work yet :( The chap who's doing the work has a bad back and hadn't slept all night so it's postponed now.. hopefully if he's feeling better we can start work tomorrow! Fingers crossed. At least I have a day off work today. :)

here's a cool shot my bro got of me with sparks flying and sh-t.

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Just got home from the workshop, here's some more piccies. Threads are all about piccies. In other positive news I have a new favourite biscuit. Rocked my world. Mmm. Me recommends.

Shortening the bumper. It's a bit rusty inside but I'm not bothered about that for the moment.

Here's the arch I wrecked

and rolled, beaten and welded. Hopefully this will be ok when there's filler on it

ready for the paintshop. COME ON!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Like.

Bourbons or custard creams for me though :)
Brunty