HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making!

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
treefingers
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala Rocco 8v to 16

Post by treefingers » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm

@brunty:
aha so I need to take the pedal box out.. makes sense. couldn't see a way around it!

which 20vt would you recommend? I've been thinking of an agu or aum from a mk4 golf (I know one is stronger than the other but I can't remember which)

I'm thinking a 16v abf would be simpler and I already have the rocco gearbox which I'd use with it but I also think having a turbo would be more fun, and fun is the aim of this car. although the downpipe looks like it'll be a pain on the abf. it'll be a lot easier to fab a downpipe for the 1.8t.

@the interceptor
thanks. I think it's a good project too, albeit a long one! I'm sure there will be plenty more blood spills!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:05 am

I'm planning a 20vT conversion, but it looks like it's a couple of projects down the line :(

There is a brief period that the Seat Leon Cupra (not the R) came out with a 180bhp engine that had a cable actuated throttle rather than the later drive-by-wire. I'm considering that one. With a remap you're looking at about 210bhp I think. You need to get the ECU sorted anyway to remove the immobiliser.

The standard Scirocco gearbox fits the 20vT engine :)
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:13 pm

That could be an engine to look at.. what's the code of that one? Would you consider megasquirt or similar? I think I'll do that with the 1.8t

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Another welding repair today. There was a rusty hole under the wiper motor so I shaped and welded a plate on top
fillered and primered

managed to get the pedal box out to remove the brake linkage. my first experience with shear bolts, what a pain they are! finished the bulkhead repair

there's so much red oxide primer in this car now. maybe i won't respray, i'll just brush the whole thing in red oxide...

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:37 am

soo more repairs... enjoying it at the moment! been reading through 20vt engine codes. can't believe there are so many different versions, a lot to get your head around! there's a 180hp version which looks perfect for the car. read yesterday that apparently the originals were 300hp when vw made them.. in a rocco? let me relieve myself

the top lip was rusted away in about 5 different places so i welded some 1mm in

started making a front crossmember brace

tacked

welded

started smoothing the kinks in the engine bay for some symmetry between the turrets. cut out the battery tray as the battery is going in the boot to make space. ground off most of the seam sealer and did some seam welding. learnt that you can't weld through seam sealer..

here's the bay at the end of tonight! was getting tired of bitty stuff. a lot of fun making the brace, i've still gotta make it look prettier but it reminded me that i'm doing this for enjoyment! a previous owner messaged me earlier on here too :)

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Made a rear strut brace. When I finished it I was searching for designs of front lower braces when I came across the OMP rear brace which joins at the rear top mounts rather than to the sides of the turrets. I think this looks a lot cleaner so was thinking of remaking.. Not sure which design is more efficient!?

Here's the brace I knocked up that will bolt inside the turrets

and the omp one that sits on the top

I've had a long old day today. Set my alarm early with the plan for today to finish smoothing the bay. Frook me I didn't realise what a task it was! Began by putting way too much filler on so spent the day sanding and sanding and sanding. Put a lick of primer (I actually have a can now!!!) and it's shown up so many imperfections, particularly on the P/S turret. I realised today that I don't like filler. It's going to take a fair bit of patience to get this right..

Today I also reshaped the crossmember brace to look a little prettier.

Home now. I need some dinner. I need sausages.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 pm

:lol: I hate filler sanding too!

I'd go with the rear brace that ties the turrets together rather than tying the to of the dampers I think. Well, I did with FUT a very long time ago. Can't say I noticed any difference with it though ;)
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 pm

yeah brunty, makes more sense as the omp one is just tiring the struts together, not the actually body.

more filler tonight... ill sand that off tomorrow.

set to work on making an upper strut brace for the front. our gas torch had run out of has so I couldn't heat and bend the tubing, I had to weld the bends. im not even sure if you can bend hollow tube with a gas torch? anyway I got a but tired. doing things like looking for the grinding disc I just got and it's in my hand. duh! anyway I didn't pay enough attention to the joins, made some crappy welds then welded too hot so it won't fit. just as well, I need to make one that looks better. I like the design though, as close to the top without touching the bonnet so nice and out of the way. back home now, sausages in the oven, Stella on the table. all is well again..

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:41 pm

so a nice chap on here came across my thread who used to own the car! he had her for a substantial period of her life and he kindly sent me some photos of her in her former glory. looks really nice.. and it used to have a black leather interior! that's what's brilliant about forums, such a great way of connecting.

I'm still getting on with bits of bodywork. I didn't realise how long this takes and how much work is required to make it look good! I've had a good chat with the guy who runs the body shop and is doing the respray and he's given me lots of advice re grades to use when sanding and techniques of applying and taking off filler. I'm so excited to get this thing sprayed up! I can afford the respray now I'm just waiting on arch panels from Europe for the rear quarters and I can get the car into the spray booth. Think I'm going to take time of work to give him a hand with all the less skilled work. Should keep the costs down, I'm quite looking forward to it too. So some photos. More work on the engine bay. I'm going to delete the expansion tank holder on the turret. Apparently there's a MK1 golf radiator with one on the side so Ill go for that.. or one from a BMW.

Thought I'd try and make something look good so I stripped the wing and filled the edge where I did the repairs. I was convinced it was going to look great when I primered it but there were so many imperfections! So frustrating but that's learning I guess.
more filler for the arch lip. this'll all be easier now I've had some good tips and a sanding board. sanding by hand I was just sanding out what I'd put in.
underseal to protect the rear.

attacked the lip of the drivers side arch to match the other also. I cut off and welded the tab holes for the bodykit.

I made a new upper strut brace from 3mm plate. Plasma cut and drilled to size..
it's only 3mm but these arcs should give it strength.
and welded up..

gotta work out a colour scheme for this car, I'm thinking black and red detailing? red strut braces would be nice. or I know someone who can chrome them. may be a bit too bling though!

ideally I would have made this with the engine in but I didn't want to weld over a freshly painted bay! I researched a few different design braces and they all seem to sit at the height of the top of the scuttle.. if it doesn't fit I'll cut it up and change it. prob gonna add some adjustment too. I'd be interested to know how much to link the lower brace I'm going to make to make it fit around the 20v's gearbox. maybe I'll have to wait til the engine's in.

and the elevation of the bar..

the next plans are to repair the rear arches when they come and get this bitch sprayed up!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Interesting stuff mate :) Nice the former owner got in touch, that first photo looks a bit Derbyshire-ish, is the car from that area?

Oh, and with the strut brace, with your raised parts, might want to add a triangulation from where the brace meets it to the flat.
Brunty