HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making!

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
treefingers
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala 20vt in the making!

Post by treefingers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 am

hi! bought my first rocco this week as a project to learn on and to build a quick car that handles great. Owned two vws before, a mk3 8v and a mk3 16v, still got the 16v to drive about while I work on the rocco. i'm brand new to this forum and sciroccos :) so looking forward to meeting some more rocco owners..

here's some pics of her just after I picked her up:

91 rocco scala, 151k but no rust and in pretty good nick. got her for a great price too.

was insured on it for a couple of days so been blasting it, i am loving the handling. such a fun car! insurance has run out now so she'll be on the drive for a few months. the plan is new engine, suspension, brakes and possibly respray. never done an engine change before so this'll be a fun learning curve.

only bit of rust was weirdly a scabby hole in the passenger door. luckily I was given a spare door in the same colour

mad max anyone? both doors are dropped tho, think I need new pins.

started stripping the engine ready to sell. got radiator and some tubes and wires out today before it got too dark.

Next day I continued stripping bits from the car

off with the exhaust (had to cut it off as the mid pipe and down pipe were rusted together!

started pulling out looms
I'm gonna need a haynes manual for this later on!!
and electrical looms out! less daunting when it was done! one thing I'm not too sure about is separating the lighting loom that I need to keep from the engine loom that is going.

getting closer to removing the engine now. gonna need a hand with disconnecting the transmission from the wheels. just been told I can't keep the car at my house so gonna have to tow it down the road to my work. hopefully my boss will let me keep it there. at least there it can be inside, with a concrete floor instead of stones.
finding more rust patches in the engine bay. the more I think about it te more I want a full respray. got the front anti roll bar off too, the rear bolts were rusted in however so I'm going to have to drill those.

end of the day..
Last edited by treefingers on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: HERMAN THE GERMAN! '91 Black Scala Rocco 8v to 16

Post by Brunty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm sure I remember the lighting loom and the engine loom being completely separate.

The doors can droop a bit, you can frig them with a washer behind the lower bracket.
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:48 pm

if that's the case with the looms I'll be happy! I did try with a washer in the doors but it was too thick, need a thinner one as the door was pushed too high.

good news today. in allowed to move the car to the yard at work which means I have acces to welders, a spray bay, more tools and most importantly shelter! :) worked out pretty well not being allowed to keep the car at home then! gonna tow it up the road later today then I can look at getting that engine out.

I'm definitely going to go for an ABF now, had a look at the other options such as 6a, ACE and 9a but the ABFs are plentiful and I like the stock management. i think the downpipe will be the only issue, not unsolvable however. going to stick with stock gearbox and clutch. after the engine comes out I'm going to treat the rust in the bay and give it a spray.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't rule out the other engines so quick, I've got a 9A and an ACE in two of mine. The ACE was a little more work to get in, but only because the oil filter mount occupies the same space as the front engine mount. All you need is a remote oil filter and it's great. 9A is great on carbs ;)
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't doubt the other engines at all, my preferred choice would be a 9a with a KR head and cams.. just can't seem to find one whereas I have no prob finding ABFs.

Nice how many roccos do you have!?

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Three :oops: Well, four with the misses' mk3
Brunty

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:16 pm

8-)

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 am

phew tiring night but cracking on...

car now moved to the workshop where it'll live for the next few months :) rain and cold no problem now!

getting the 8v engine out tonight. tried the engine crane..

but it hadn't been used for 6 years and didn't work :( so forklift it is! got my twin bro to help me tonight.

driveshafts and the first two engine mounts came out no problem, so far so good. final mount on the left was a right b-stard though. the bolt had seized to the bush. after numerous breaker bars we finally got it turning but couldn't get it out of the captive nut, it was at the end of the thread but wouldn't come out. cut through the middle of the bolt, no good. tried unbolting the mount from the engine but the bolts were inaccessible even after sacrificing my only 6mm allen key by chopping it shorter. after much fretting and even discussing taking off the head I managed to drill it out at an angle. wish we'd thought of this at the start! Finally all mounts disconnected!
here's the remains of the bush..

started dropping it down when we realised i hadn't disconnected all of the gear linkage, whoops. got some good learning in tonight

chocked up the jack and rolled her out..

bye bye 8v!

next job tomorrow is to remove the brake servo and lines, then begin bodywork in the engine bay ready for a spray up in the same colour. gotta remove the gearbox and clutch from the engine as they'll be staying but the DX block and KJET will be sold. bought a haynes yesterday from ebay. hopefully it'll come tomorrow so I can be a bit more clued up as to what I'm doing. definitely in the deep end now, no going back! seems a little daunting at this stage. looking forward to getting it all stripped and the bodywork sorted so i can start putting new bits on!

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner

Post by treefingers » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Right so tonight was a bit of experimenting with soda blasting to clean the engine and various parts. Cleared tesco's out of bicarbonate of soda!

I've seen loads of videos of people doing it on ebay. It's great because it takes off much instantly and is chemical free and is water soluble. It took us about an hour to work out how to do it though. Lessons learned - mixing with water doesn't work, and throwing it at the engine doesn't work!

In the end we modded some piping on the end of an air hose and created a venturi effect, sucking up the dry power and mixing it with the air, firing it out. We actually used up all the powder at this point, but at least I know how to do it. 5KG of bicarbonate of soda ordered from ebay for £12!

You can see the difference here, the cleaner parts are from a split second of blasting. Gonna be very useful, and cheap too! I'd still love to hear other peoples preferred methods of degreasing and cleaning though.

Brake servo off to make way for MK2 servo & cylinder.

Calipers off to make way for bigger discs and (ahem) Vauxhall callipers..

Here's a shot of me enjoying myself!

And a tough bolt... YOU MADE ME BLEED MY OWN BLOOD!!

Blood and sweat so far. The tears will come from my third eye when it's finished!

The guy behind where I work has a body shop business, I'm definitely going for a full windows out respray, I think I've just decided :) May as well go all the way with this.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:22 pm

The car gods demand a blood sacrifice.

Cleaning? I use petrol and a wire brush on aluminium, one of those brass rotary drill bit type brushes. Wouldn't on a 'nice' surface though.
Brunty