A Storm is coming. ('79 storm)

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
rich_rocco

A Storm is coming. ('79 storm)

Post by rich_rocco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:14 am

Back in 2011, after a couple of years of looking for a cheap yet easy Mk1 Scirocco project (pretty much asking the impossible) I managed to find this little beaut so I sold my mk2 golf and pretty much snapped the previous owners hand off.
the car was originally from suffolk but the gentleman i got it from had it stored in stanley so it was pretty local :)

Its a 1979 Mk1 Scirocco Storm originally in Silbergrun (Silver green) metallic
90 odd thousand miles on the clock
and completely solid!
its had all the necessary welding done by professionals so the shell is solid
had all new brakes fitted
new belts, pipes and service items done on the engine
new petrol tank, fuel pump, fuel lines and filler neck
full black leather interior in really good condition

as you can see it needed a respray, had a few small areas of surface rust and a few bits to get it through an MOT. but in the 2 years that ive owned it ive sorted all that out and ironed out all the niggly bits and given it a home paintjob

here are some pics the previous owner sent me of some of the work that was done before i bought it

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Re: A Storm is coming. ('79 storm)

Post by Scally_Wag » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Cracking find there mate!!! I like it.

rich_rocco

Post by rich_rocco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:54 pm

The Following is everything I've done on the car since I got it 2 years ago...

Removed the storm spoiler as I've never been a huge fan:

purchased a GTI spoiler

got some “new” wheels as the wheels that came on the car had to go back to the previous owner (he kindly lent me them for a few months so that the car had something to sit on.

These are 14x7 Whey King wheels (an 80s italian motorsport company)
and as far as I can tell, the only set in the UK
I know of 2 sets of 15 inch ones but no other 14s.
They were in a bit of a state when I got them but didnt take long to get back to a decent standard.

About halfway through the refurb:

the original centrecaps were missing so I made some using some abs plastic “chrome” spikes and some old centrecaps

here they are almost done:

anyway... as some of you probably already know, the early fuseboxes had a problem with one of the pins on the fuel pump relay socket burning out. so vw "solved" the problem by providing a sort of extension to the fusebox in the form of a relay socket (which clips onto the fusebox), some wiring and a socket.

when you cobble it all together and plug it in it stops the pin from burning out.. happy days!
until I discovered that they discontinued the part!
but all is was not lost! i found a guy in america that had 2 for sale and bagged one for the measly sum of £27

I also treat the car to a new gearknob as the original wooden one just looked out of place among the rest of the interior

rich_rocco

Post by rich_rocco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:59 pm

So then the rust/damage repair and paint prep work began!

the inner wings and wing panels were really solid and only had surface rust!
So I treated that then gave them a lick of hammerite and a good coat of waxoil

(all other cavities were given the same treatment)

(I chased back any rust to bare metal, repaired as necessary, applied rust cure and anti rust primer before the paint began)

I also began refurbing the badges and other plastics (most isnt shown but becomes apparent later)

gave the bumpers a clean and a coat of textured black paint

the badges were a pain to get right but I came up with the idea of using blutac instead of masking tape with great results...

also bought this earlier badge which I may use as it suits the car and matches the scirocco badge better

rich_rocco

Post by rich_rocco » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Bought Some coilovers as my old shocks were ancient and one was leaking
not planning on going crazy low and these popped up cheap so I grabbed them

also found this when I was clearing the garage...

its a cherrybomb which I'd bought for my MK2 golf before I sold it and forgot I had it
so I got rid of the bright red paint with some High temperature black paint and give the tip a polish
still not sure if i'll be fitting it to the rocco or not

also got this for when I get around to tidying the engine bay

Then I gave the interior a good goingover, repeaired a couple of cracks in the drivers seat and redyed the leather as the black was faded in places.

Then I began painting...

yep... Matt green rattle cans.
I know what youre thinking but I promise its only a temporary measure
I just wanted a layer of protection on the car and for it to be all one colour til I can afford a professional respray next year
its not the best but it actually turned out far better than I expected and, Lets face it, its far better than the way the car looked when I got it!

And this is where its at now:

All thats left to do is finish treating the rust on the bottom edge of the passenger door (minimal), paint the door then apply the decals I have for the lower sides of the car (all will be revealed in the near future)

then shes off to my mates garage to get her new, non-cracked downpipe fitted and straight for MOT and I'll finally be driving her!

Cheers for looking.
Last edited by rich_rocco on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalerocco
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk1 Modified

Post by dalerocco » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 pm

hey there rich,
your storms coming on a treat. :clap: . been a while since I seen it when I bought your spoiler. hope to see you and the storm at a meet or show soon.
dale.

rich_rocco

Post by rich_rocco » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:40 am

cheers dale :)

cant wait to drive it. i'll be at as many meets and shows that i can get to once its on the road.

which brings me to...

thats the paint and bodywork "finished"

got the decals on and I'm really happy with them
I also got dubmeister pressed metal plates and wolfsburg surrounds and installed a new aerial
the new radio is also plumbed in and the alarm/immobilizer will be in this week hopefully

last thing to do is change the cracked downpipe for the new one then i can get it mot'd

i made another attempt to get the downpipe nuts off myself,using a blowtorch this time and theyre really not coming off (managed to get one off) so i'm going to attempt to take the exhaust manifold off so ive got better access. ive already used the trusty angle grinder to cut the downpipe where it bends at the bottom so if i can get the exhaust manifold out i should be able to drop the whole lot out of the bottom of the engine bay.
my next day off is saturday so ive been soaking the nuts/bolts with releasing fluid over the last few days in the hope that it will do some good by saturday. if not then i'll have to get it trailered to a garage and pay someone to do it.

wish me luck.

treefingers
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by treefingers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 pm

looking good man, I don't actually think the green temp job looks too bad! what colour are you going for when it's sprayed next?

I agree about the splitter.. also not a fan of storm spoilers.. they're too chunky for the rest of the car.