Project Poppy - 1987 MkII GT ... ***REWIND***

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

POST 40 - Mon Jul 11, 2011

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

So, I now have a very solid, but very bare shell to dispose of if anyone is interested.

All of the work so far has been done both properly and thoroughly. This has included a replacement front end and a brand new NOS rear valance as well as a rebuild of the rear arches using replacement panels.

Thee are still a couple of small bits of bodywork to do including repairing the hole in the bulkhead where the clutch cable goes through and removing some rust from underneath where the gutter rails sit on the roof. Otherwise she was, as far as we were concerned, ready to either go for blasting or for filling and prepping for paint.

We are currently due to give up our workshop on Monday 18 July, so need to know by next Sunday 17 July at the latest if anyone wants to take her on. If there is someone genuinely interested I’d be willing to extend the rental on the garage for another couple of weeks to help give them time to sort out collection. That would mean you’d need to come and take her away no later than the day after Cosford.

In case there’s any doubt this isn’t about money, more an attempt at ensuring someone benefits from the work done so far. However, there is some value in the shell if only because of the NOS panel etc and the rules say a price is required so let’s say £100, which is what I paid for the rear panel.

Please only come forward if you are genuinely interested and willing to make use of the shell. I neither have the time nor the inclination to be messed about.

Needless to say at that price it’s a case of buyer collects.

:silent:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 41 - Wed Aug 10, 2011

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm

So folks, I thought it was about time that I brought this story to an end, but first let me recap on the last couple of chapters if you like following on from the break in.

Despite advertising Poppy for sale through various forums I was unable to find anyone willing to take the project on - despite the shell being extremely sound. In the end though at least some of her has been saved from going to scrap so, all being well, at least some of Poppy will get back on the road.

A chap came up a couple of weeks ago and cut off the roof. He’s currently restoring his own Scirocco and it has a sunroof, which he wants to lose, so Poppy’s roof should help him achieve that goal.

He also intended to take the entire rear panel, but in the end just cut off the lower section, which was all he really needed.

Once he’d finished Poppy was really looking rather sad - the dream truly was coming to an end. :cry:

Then when I was at Cosford, I was introduced to Sander who was looking for a section of scuttle panel to help fill the unused hole on his Mk2 now he’s using a single wiper.

Poppy’s passenger side would give him just what he needed for his driver side.

He explained that I’d need to drill out the spot welds and although I’d never done this before I agreed to give it a go. I wouldn’t say I did a great job of drilling them out as some were too close to the edge, but I got it off and having been emailed a few photos of the panel he seems certain it’ll be just what he needs.

Next I began to think if there was anything else on Poppy’s shell that I might be able to use myself. So my first task was to have a go at removing the stainless steel filler neck …

Then I decided to try and get out the petrol tank as it was replaced a few years back and is still in pretty good condition. However, I was a little concerned about how I’d get on dropping the rear beam to allow the removal of the tank, but again decided to give it a go.

As ever, there was a nut that just did not want to come off. The one in question this time was one of the two on the driver’s side that holds the rear beam onto the shell and it eventually came off using an impact socket. These are 17mm nuts by the way in case anyone is thinking of tackling this job themselves.

Amazingly, I did eventually get the tank out, but I did make the task a little harder than it needed to be by dropping the suspension along with the beam and so in effect removing the beam entirely. Still, all good practice for future projects. Even more amazing was the fact I managed to put the beam and the suspension back into place so as to keep Poppy as a rolling shell.

The tank removed, I drained out what little fuel there was left inside. Then I filled it to overflowing with water. I know, I thought it sounded strange too, but I was advised that’s the best way to kill off the petrol vapour in the tank particularly important as those vapours remain dangerous even when the petrol has been taken out.

The water was then emptied out and the tank left somewhere warm so as to help the remaining moisture evaporate and so prevent it rusting. Somewhere warm being our spare room!

I’ll let it rest there for a couple of weeks and then give the whole tank a good swirl out with motor oil - again this is supposed to help protect the tank and reduce the likelihood of any corrosion forming.

Not sure yet if I’ll keep it or sell it, but it was too good to scrap …

Those three tasks complete it was time to arrange for what was left of the shell to be removed from the workshop. A lot of the people I contacted wanted me to pay them to take it away as with so much removed from it already they said there wouldn’t be enough weight in it to make it worth them taking it away.

Thankfully, Dave at ADP in Starbeck who has given me a lot of advice over this last year or so put me in touch with a local chap who was willing to take it free of charge for what he could get by weighing it in at a local recycling yard.

So, on Tuesday morning Gus and his mate came along to the workshop to do the dastardly deed. Unfortunately, they’d not realised that it was still a rolling shell and the vehicle they came in wasn’t ideally suited for the job.

However, the chap I rent the workshop from agreed to use his JCB and it’s grabber to lift Poppy onto the back of his pick up …

And so it really was time to say one last farewell to Poppy. It truly was heartbreaking to see her all cut up being dumped onto the truck and taken away, but at least now we can move on and look to put the whole unfortunate episode of the break in behind us.

Did I cry when the truck drove off? Course not, but I came pretty damned close!

:thumbdown:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 42 - Thu Jul 12, 2012

Hard to believe it's almost a year since I got the call to say there'd been a break in at our workshop.

In some ways it seems like much longer than that, but in other ways it seems like last week.

It still gets to me that I had to let Poppy go on the back of that. I know that might sound rather sad to many out there, but when you've had a car for the best part of 20 years it kind of hurts to let it go ...

Last I heard the police had charged a couple of guys for taking some of the metal to a local scrappie, but that was months ago and there's been nothing since. After 12 months I guess that's that.

:cry:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 43 - Mon Apr 22, 2013

Nearly two years on now and as far as I know they never charged anyone with the break in. We certainly never got anything back that had been stolen, but we still have Lily who goes from strength to strength …

I’m pretty sure in time we’ll come to love this car as much as we did Poppy … well almost!

:wave:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Re: Project Poppy - 1987 MkII GT ... ***REWIND***

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Phew, finally finished pasting in the old text. :clap:

So there you go, that is, or rather was Project Poppy. Last time I looked it was the 5th most viewed thread on the Register with well over 5,000 visits so there must have been something worthwhile in it.

Maybe they just came to laugh at the 'noob' trying to turn a rusty heap back into a show car, but I like to think it's because folks related to what I was going through and that at least some of what I posted was of interest.

I doubt the 'rewind' will attract so much interest, but hopefully there will be a few folks along the way that'll enjoy the read.

:wave:

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:43 pm

It's taken me 3 sittings to get through that. I know you said it didn't have a happy ending in the first post, but when I scrolled down to see the roof chopped off.... :cry:

However, some of the pics of bodywork welding could come in handy in the near future, so thank you :)
Brunty

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Cpt Custom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Brunty wrote:It's taken me 3 sittings to get through that ...
Glad you found it of some interest Brunty, just hope you didn't have trouble sleeping afterwards! :lol:

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by ianaudia4 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Brings back memories Paul, would have liked to have seen the end product.
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 pm

ianaudia4 wrote:would have liked to have seen the end product.
I think we all would!
Brunty

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Cpt Custom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Brunty wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:would have liked to have seen the end product.
I think we all would!
Cheers guys. :thumbup: You know some days I do wonder if I did the right thing pulling the plug, but back then it seemed the sensible and right thing to do. I just couldn't afford to replace what we'd lost and even the storage costs for the shell would have been beyond us long term.

The irony is that now we've moved we have all the space you could want to store a car or put up a nice big garage, bu no way of gaining accesss!

I'd still ove to know where the parts went too, I mean I can't believe they weighed in around £600 worth of coilovers.

Anyway, what's done is done I guess. Got a cracker in Lily and learned a lot along the way ... like don't keep your best bits in the garage! ;)