Project Poppy - 1987 MkII GT ... ***REWIND***

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

POST 20 - Sat Dec 11, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Finally got working on the rear arches over the last week. We started with the nearside as it was the ‘better’ of the two! :lol:

All the bad metal on both the outer and inner arch was cut away with the air hacksaw and the paint on the surrounding areas removed with a belt sander so we could see what we were working with. Surprisingly, given how bad the arch looked initially it wasn’t that long before we hit good metal.

Once this was done, Steve (the welder) was able to assess how much of the replacement arch we’d need to use. In the end we only used a small section of the new panel. This was partly because we didn’t really need to use it all, but also to minimise the likelihood of the bodywork warping when the new section was welded into place.

Given that some of the inner arch was also shot we salvaged a ‘replacement’ section from the cut-off arches I’d got a few months ago. To get that Steve just drilled out the original spot welds along the edge and ‘hey presto’ off it came.

Once this was cut to size and welded into place we cut up the new panel to the necessary size so that it could be joggled to fit into place with a small section of it being inserted behind the existing body panel.

Before this was welded into place though all the bare areas were sprayed with weld through primer (Normfest Elox). Then we applied some PU adhesive sealant (Tiger Seal) along the existing inner arch so that when the joggled repair panel was slipped into place it would help provide a decent seal between the layers of metal.

That done the repair panel was clamped into place and then tack welds were applied at about 6” intervals, then tack welds were applied in between each of the first series before Steve laid down some continuous welds to finish things off. The idea behind this approach was to prevent the panel from warping as much as possible and it certainly seemed to work on the whole, but there is still some warping visible.

Next we drilled some holes in the outer arch rim to expose the inner arch below and then through these holes we were able to tack weld the two panels together thus giving extra strength to the repaired arches.

Finally, as Poppy is still sat outside during the day, the whole area was sprayed with some zinc primer (Normfest Galva 97) just to keep the nasty rust at bay.

Right now the repaired area still looks a little rough, but once we go over the welds with the belt sander and then prep the body for paint everything should look good.

Then it was time to turn our attentions to the driver’s side rear arch. When I removed the bodykit a few weeks back this was by far the worst area of the car. As you’ll see from the photos, in addition to cutting off the arch rim we had to cut out quite a large area of the rear panel to the front of the arch and also down into the outer sill.

Overall the work involved was pretty much the same as with the passenger side and we followed exactly the same stages when affixing the new section. On this side though there was also a large area of the inner wheel tub that needed to be replaced. If you look back at the photos I posted after I stripped out the interior you’ll see there was an awful lot of damage in there. It was so bad not only could you see daylight through the hole, but I could have fitted my hand into the gap!

Steve rather cleverly used some of the unused metal left over from the second repair panel to form a plate, which he then cut to size and welded into place along with a small section of inner arch salvaged from one of the cut-off arches.

One thing I hadn’t noticed until this week is that there must have been a fair amount of work done on the driver’s side rear quarter before I bought her in 1993. Two reasons I say this. Firstly, where I’d taken the trim off we noticed that the swage line between the rear arch and the passenger door shut is almost non-existent. Secondly, in cutting out the rusted section of metal we found that underneath the paint there’s an awful lot of filler, which probably explains the fairly non-existent swage line. Still that’s something to worry about another day.

So, that’s how things are at the moment. I have to say I’m really pleased with how she’s came on over the last couple of weeks and hope to have more to report soon.

:wave:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 21 - Thu Dec 30, 2010

Well, I’ve finally got around to ordering up a coilover kit for Poppy. :D

After much deliberation I’ve opted for FK Silverlines from those nice guys at Big Boys Toys.

Not only did I benefit from getting it ordered before the VAT increase next week, but being a fully paid up member of the Register at the time I was able to get the club discount saving me best over £30 on their list price.

So if you need some bits, but haven’t paid your subs recently then why not cough up and then contact the Boys to see what they can do for you.

:thumbup:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 22 - Fri Jan 21, 2011

Yippee ... finally got somewhere to work on Poppy! :clap:

Not quite a garage, more a shed in fact, well alright half a shed. But the space I've got on offer is about equivalent to 2 double garages so should be loads of space at least until I start taking the rest of the bits off.

Up till now she's been sat outside the garage in town where the welding was getting done. Which has been great, but whenever they're not working on her things grind to a halt. This way once they've finished with the welding etc I can get her moved up to the 'shed' and tinker away to my heart's content.

Anybody wants to pop round for a brew and offer a hand at some point will be more than welcome!

Also if anybody has any garage equipment that's surplus to requirements please give me a shout as I need to start getting some tools gathered together especially for sorting out the bodywork.

Just need to get back onto the garage and chase them along with the welding and then I can start stripping the rest down ready for blasting.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 23 - Mon Jan 31, 2011

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Little bit of progress over the weekend … of sorts anyway.

After weeks of looking I’ve finally been able to rent some workspace near where I live so we went up and spent a couple of hours sorting out some bits and pieces.

Believe it or not the building I’m going to be using was actually built initially as an aircraft hangar! Seriously, I kid you not … quite apt for working on a ‘skyrocket’ eh?

At the moment I’ve got just under half the hangar giving me a work area of about 8m x 4.5m, which should be plenty. It’s less than 2 miles from my house (I’ve only got to go through one set of traffic lights), has power, a concrete floor, seems to be watertight and the whole front can be opened up giving us plenty of access and natural light.

Having got some useful advice through the Forum on the ‘essentials’ for starting up a small workshop I’ve got most of the things, though not quite everything, folks have suggested. Like I say we took these up over the weekend.

The plan is that once Poppy has been for blasting she’ll go straight from there to the new workshop. Then we’re going to get the suspension, exhaust, rear beam, fuel tank etc off her so we can get her raised up and ‘tarted’ up underneath.

After that we’ll be cracking on with the bodywork getting her prepped for paint. And while that’s going on the bits we’ve stripped off her, which we intend to refit, can be refurbished as will the engine block. So expect lots of photos of bits getting stripped down, painted and even powder coated fairly soon.

Really excited about this latest development as having access to Poppy anytime of the day or night and at weekends should really see her progress quickly through the Spring.

The only thing is I’m not too sure about the neighbours … they look a bit rough!

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 24 - Tue Feb 01, 2011

Mr Postie has been and brought me something nice ...

FK Silverlines ... height adjustable and very shiny!

8-)
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 25 - Sat Feb 12, 2011

Finally got a few hours down at the garage where Poppy is currently being stored and made some significant progress with stripping her out.

I’d already stripped out most of the back end, but today we got the dash and all the associated bits like the parcel shelves, centre console, etc taken out …

I’ve still got the carpet and soundproofing to come out the footwell, but otherwise that’s about us done inside. Having said that there’s still the headlining, which I might or might not decide to replace. Even if I decide to stick with the original it might need to come out for the outer body shell to be blasted as I’m thinking it might get damaged if I leave it in?

To get a break from crawling around inside I decided to strip the vinyl off the B pillars. Given that I was already thinking of fitting new sections onto Lily I thought I’d practice on Poppy.

I followed the tried and tested method of heat gun and scraper, but was amazed how difficult it was to get it off without scratching the paint. Not really a problem on Poppy as she’s getting re-sprayed, but it has made me wary of doing it to Lily!

I also took off the plastic gutter rails to see what was lurking underneath them and found several rusted sections like the one below, so these will need some attention too …

Anyway, that’s about it for today. Got to say it was great to get a few hours in the garage so we could crack on. Having her where she is has been really useful as it’s given us somewhere to store her and access to all that a ‘proper garage’ has to offer. However, access has been restricted and I’ve had to fit in with other people’s plans.

Still, I got a fair bit done today and it’s made me realise how much better it’ll be once I get her moved up to the ‘hangar’ and I can get at her whenever I want. And then I guess there’ll be no more excuses (maybe)!!

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 26 - Tue Feb 22, 2011

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Contemplating a restoration a wise man once said "it'll be done when it's right and right when it's done" or something like that, which struck a chord with me when I first heard it.

However, I'm an impatient sod at times! Hopefully, once she's back from being blasted and moved up to my own workshop we can crack on with her. Then with as much effort and enthusiasm as I can muster, along with some (make that a lot) of help through the forum I'd really like to think getting her on the road this year is achievable.

Kind of got the VW Festival at Harewood in my mind as a target.

It's local and with it being in August gives us just under 6 months to play with.

:thumbup:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 27 - Tue Mar 22, 2011

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Having thought about it long and hard we've now bitten the bullet and have moved Poppy out of the local VW garage where she’s been over the last few months and into our workshop! :D

I guess up to now we've seen the garage as a safety blanket that would stop us making a complete arse of the restoration simply because we have absolutely no experience and my mechanical knowledge is zilch. :crazy:

However, talking to people at Ultimate Dubs and at the North East mini meet over the weekend has led us to believe that we can achieve what we once thought was beyond us.

It'll take a lot of hard work and we'll be relying heavily on the support, advice and friendship of the guys I’ve met through the internet, but we are determined to make it work. Let’s hope we don't live to regret it!

Anyway, here she is in her new home …

Now that we’ve got her up there I need to take stock of where we go from here and what we need to do to finish getting her ready for blasting.

The most obvious things to be done are taking out the engine and swapping the body panels around, then removing the glass and any remaining fixtures and fittings.

Like I say, we need to formulate a plan. But for today I’m just chuffed to feel we’ve got some control back over the project given that we’ve not been making any real progress of late.

It’s great to see her actually in the workshop. Wish us lots of luck because I reckon we’re going to need it!

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 28 - Wed Mar 23, 2011

What a great day … the sun’s been shining and for the first time I’ve been able to work on Poppy in my own workshop! 8-)

Truly a great day and I had to laugh when I first arrived and switched on the radio only to hear the “Top Gear” theme tune blasting out courtesy of Radio 2!

So, motivated by The Allman Brothers Band, I started off by removing the white bonnet again. I’d only fixed it in place yesterday as it seemed the easiest way of getting it transported up to the workshop. It’ll stay off now until the engine comes out and she goes for blasting.

Next I unpacked everything that I’d crammed inside of her prior to her being put on the trailer yesterday. The MkII Scirocco sure does make a fine van! :lol:

The rear lights were also taken out again …

While working around the rear hatch I noticed that at least one of the number plate light units will need replacing … I think it was held in place with chewing gum!

Other little jobs done today included removing the rear spoiler, badges, wiper arm and lock so the back end is looking a little less cluttered …

I finished the afternoon by attempting to remove the rear window wiper motor, but that’s where I came unstuck as I just can’t figure out what to do about the wiring?

I pulled the plastic connector you can see in the photo below through the aperture so I could split it in two …

Then I pulled the half nearest the motor along to where the other end exits the tailgate frame and goes down into the motor unit itself. However, as you can see the plastic connector is never going to go through that tiny little hole!

So now I have the motor unit hanging off the inside of the tailgate …

Not sure right now if I need to cut the wires or what?

:eh:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 29 - Thu Mar 24, 2011

I only managed a couple of hours up there this afternoon and nothing seemed to go right. :cry:

If it wasn’t me being thick and not able to follow Mr Haynes simple ‘destructions’ it was things breaking or not coming apart like they ought to. :x:

I began by trying to pull those wires out of the plastic connector, which I mentioned in my last couple of posts. They came out, but not like they should do …

As you can see only one came out with the end piece intact and the other two just broke off so I’ll need to figure a way of fixing them or source a replacement unit.

And my attempts at taking the remaining trim/seals on the doors plus removing the glass didn’t bear fruit either. When I pulled out the seal that runs along the bottom edge of the window aperture it brought one of these little clips with it …

I couldn’t get the window guide rail out either as I don’t have the right tools for removing the socket head bolt that’s located half way up.

I think before I go any further and definitely before I start on the other door I’m going to see if anyone can offer advice on how best to tackle this part of the restoration. Otherwise I can see me having to replace everything!

Hay ho; nobody said it would be easy!

:lolno:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.