Project Poppy - 1987 MkII GT ... ***REWIND***

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

POST 10 - Fri Sep 03, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Been busy these last few days what with stripping off the remainder of the body kit, continuing to remove the interior trim and also getting a few more parts together …

First, let’s get the really nasty bits out the way. I have now removed the remaining bits of the body kit along with the front bumper. :clap:

Surprisingly, the front arches were nowhere near as bad as the back. In fact, if I’d not already sourced some pretty neat replacements from I might just have patched them up.

Here’s the offside wing removed. As you can see it too isn’t that bad …

And underneath the driver’s side things were found to be pretty sound …

Upfront things weren’t so good … :shock:

Decided to try and source replacement parts from someone who is currently breaking a Mk2. Not only am I getting the front end including the slam panel, but he’s also providing the arse end. That’ll give me what we need to patch up the rear end and the rear arches.

Also got the door cards removed, though I did leave the internal workings in place as Poppy is still sat outside waiting for a space to come free within the garage.

Also removed the front passenger seat though it took some time for me to figure out that the securing bolts Mr Haynes refers to are not underneath the car, but underneath the seat! :lol:

Finally, worth mentioning that I’ve been buying some more goodies for the restoration …

As well as the above bits and bobs, I’ve also got new front suspension arms and the necessary handbrake cables for the rear disc conversion.

:wave:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 11 - Fri Sep 03, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Seeing her looking like that the other day got me wondering if I’ve taken on too much. And for the first time I was questioning if I'm doing the right thing, but a few of the guys on the forum helped pick me back up pointing out that they've seen much worse brought back from the dead!

On a more positive note, I'm kind of liking the new look ... it's sort of 'Christine' meets 'Jaws' complete with rotting teeth. :lol:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 12 - Fri Oct 01, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Well here we are ... it's October and I'm left wondering where September went!

Having taken the decision to take my time with Poppy's restoration and spread the work over the winter I was prepared for things to go a bit more slowly, but I wasn't quite ready for the project grinding to a halt.

Since I last posted an update I've been waiting for the chap the garage had lined up to do the welding to make a start on the major work needed to make Poppy solid underneath. The work was also to involve replacing some of the rusted sections with various replacement panels.

However, due to other commitments he's not been able to get started and so I'm left champing at the bit at the moment. Until that works done and I get her inside out the weather I'm struggling to come up with anything I can be doing. The guy's supposedly good at what he does so I'm gonna hang in there as he's expected to start very soon. I have to say though that if it isn't done soon then I might need to look at other options as I'm desperate to see the project progress.

There's a lot to do to get Poppy where I want her to be and I reckon next summer could come around all too soon if I sit around too long. So keep your fingers crossed I have something to report soon.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 13 - Wed Oct 27, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Well I’m pleased to say there’s finally been some further progress to report. Things are now certainly underway, but more of that in a moment.

First, thought I’d just report back on where I am with obtaining replacement panels. You might remember that in addition to the body panels I’d already got, I was still looking to get my hands on a front end, rear valance and replacement arches. Thankfully, I’ve now been able to get all of these from a fellow Scirocco enthusiast, once he’d cut them off a fire damaged Scirocco he was breaking.

New teeth for Poppy! :D

Few little dings here and there, but so much better than before!

I was delighted when we got hold of these, but Steve our welder was keen that I try and pick up original repair panels to sort out the arches if at all possible. I know … hen’s teeth and all that.

Thankfully, I’d picked up on a forum thread about some copy parts that have been getting imported and that led me to approach a few of the guys that I believed had already ordered them to see what they were like. One of them had regrettably taken the decision to not progress with his own restoration project so I’m now buying his unused set. Hopefully, I’ll get them next week.

I’ve also had another break in that I came across an old posting re a NOS rear panel, which unbelievably hadn’t sold. Needless to say I quickly snatched that up too.

Okay, let’s talk actual physical progress. We now have the front end including the slam panel removed. :o

Open wide!

The chassis legs have been drilled/marked up so that we shouldn’t have any major problems relocating the new section.

At least there’s easy access for working on the engine!

And check out the new bonnet support!

So there you have it. I know it looks bad, but hell sometimes things need to get worse before they get better … or so I keep telling myself.

The new wings will be going back on temporarily to help align everything back up and I expect we’ll have the new panel welded on in the next couple of days.

Then we plan to strip out the remainder of the interior including the dash, remove all the glass and trims plus take out the engine ready for the shell to be blasted. Ideally, I’d like to have got her onto a spit, so we could take her back to just a bare shell and have the whole lot blasted. However, I’m afraid that’s going to be too expensive so she’ll just be getting blasted from the sills up, but at least that’ll allow us to go for a bare metal respray.

Should be good when it’s done in … let’s see, 2015 should be about right! :lol:

Meanwhile, Lily looks on in disbelief! :crazy:

:thumbup:
Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 14 - Thu Oct 28, 2010

Just been down at the garage tonight and got a couple of shots showing the new front end/slam panel now in place. The original bonnet and wings are back on for the moment until she goes to be blasted.

Sorry the quality of these photos isn’t great, but I just wanted to share these until I get some better ones taken in daylight. For the moment the welds have been dressed then hit with some zinc primer so it should keep the corrosion at bay. No point doing any seam sealer etc as that’ll be blown off when the shell gets blasted.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 15 - Thu Nov 04, 2010

Slight change of plan in that we’ve removed the rear panel earlier than originally intended …

This is the view from above when you open the tailgate …

Round the tailgate area at the base of what I suppose you’d call the C pillars (?) will certainly need some attention …

Didn’t have time to reshoot the front end, but will try and get at least one good shot of that online soon.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 16 - Thu Nov 04, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Poppy isn’t going to be standard, but I keep changing my mind about what I want to do and how far to go. A lot will depend on the money situation and how much help I'm able to get along the way.

Body wise my intention is to certainly de-trim and de-badge her. I want the body to be as smooth as possible so even those things that aren't necessarily being removed like the door handles will be altered. The gutter rails are also being ditched and the tramlines filled over. I also want to change the lights and have been thinking about something similar to the Mk1 round light set up, but maybe even something a bit different though not quite sure what.

Essentially I want to try and walk the line between custom and modern sports coupe. So the standard bodykit will also most likely stay off, but be replaced by something else. Whether that's a kit or simply modified panels I'm still pondering!

What I don't want is for her to end up looking over-pimped or as if she's been on steroids. Maybe the best way I can describe what I'm after would be to say I want her to look like the Mk3 might have looked had VW not waited 16 years to build it ... a sort of Mk2.1 if you like! :D
The one other thing I am sure of is that I don't want to swap the engine for something bigger. I might get it tweaked, but I see that as the heart and soul of the car so removing it would seem to go against what I set out to do, which is breathe new life into Poppy. Maybe that sounds a little daft, but I'm just not sure I'd feel the same about the car if I swapped the engine over. :crazy:

Decisions, decisions ...

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 17 - Tue Nov 09, 2010

Now have the NOS panel I got tacked in place. :clap:

She’s starting to look like a proper car again … well, sort of! :lol:

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 18 - Thu Nov 25, 2010

Postman Pat has been good to me lately. First he brought me these nice reproduction parcel shelf clips …

I’ve read recently that you can still get the original parts from VW, but these are an excellent alternative if you’re having trouble getting OEM bits.

Then yesterday he brought me this nice big box …

Now don’t let the Honda livery fool you because inside were a nice pair of rear arch repair panels …

Again as with the parcel clips these aren’t original parts, but decent quality reproductions. I got these from someone on the forum who had initially bought them for his own, sadly now abandoned, restoration.

First impressions of them are very good although I’m waiting on my welder checking them out.

One other bit of news this week is that we’ve now sourced someone local who can blast the shell. I’m going with RNR Powder Coatings at West Tanfield. However, before she can go off to them there’s still a fair few things need doing, namely:

• Bonnet, wings and doors to be replaced with ‘new’ panels;
• Rear wheel arch repair kit to be fitted;
• Engine to be removed and bay cleared;
• Glass and rubbers to come out;
• Dashboard to be removed;

If all goes to plan it looks like she might be blasted this side of Christmas. :clap:

Needless to say I’ll post more news and photos as soon as there’s anything more to report.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

POST 19 - Fri Dec 10, 2010

Post by Cpt Custom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

We’ve been really busy this last week or so working on repairing the rear arches and over the weekend I’ll be putting up some information on how this work is progressing. In the meantime, just thought I’d post up a few more photos of the rear panel now it's tacked into place and the rear lights have been refitted.

Last edited by Cpt Custom on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.