My '88 Scala

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
josh2109
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Re: My '88 Scala

Post by josh2109 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:16 pm

Just part of life with an older car, I love it really :D it's always a nice feeling when you fix something that was broken :thumbup: :thumbup:

And yep engine strip down and rebuild is on the list, as I have oil bursting out everywhere and the headgasket has given up in true 8 valve VW fashion :roll: luckily I've already stripped and rebuilt the head on my Golf, and these blocks are almost identical :) For the time being that can all wait though, it's too cold for too much mucking around :lol:

I can't agree more about learning hands on though - everything I know, I learned on my drive under one of my cars!! It started as a case of not being able to afford labour on my first car, but these days I just can't get enough of it :lol:

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:44 am

The head gasket failure could be causing the emissions fail...
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I hope not as I really don't want to fix that right now, I'm holding out for better weather :lol:

I went nuclear with carb cleaner today so I'm hoping that may help - I didn't think to clean this spare carb before I fitted it :oops: I focused on the CO screw & housing, and blasted cleaner down the idle fuel/air jet. I can now wind the CO screw all the way in without the car dying, whereas before it would cut out several turns before this point. I've set the CO screw up the same as the one on my Golf, although I've also removed the idle jet, CO screw and housing from the previous carb, so I may fit these instead.

Ah, the joys of setting up a carb without an exhaust probe :evil: :lol:

The car is booked in for MOT Tuesday afternoon, so I'll see how she does then. Fingers crossed :)

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 am

Sounds positive :) And on a plus note, it must be the season for MOTs, my Golf breezed through yesterday :)
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 am

That's good to hear! My Golf is due it's MOT too this month, went through last year with flying colours :D Although to be MOT'd this year I'll need to put it back together again first :lol: It can wait until after the Scirocco is sorted though, the whole point of getting the Scirocco was so that I'd have a VW to drive whilst the Golf was out of action!! :roll:

To give me a bit of an edge with regards to my emissions, I've just reserved a Gunson Colortune at my local Halfrauds :) I'll pick i up tomorrow and have a play, see if I can't get things running nicely. What with 2 cars on carbs anyway it seems like a worthwhile investment, especially as I've mucked around with the engine spec on my Golf a bit. And I also have those bike carbs in the loft... :twisted:

Interestingly on videos I've watched online, it would appear that when setting up the idle mixture an increase in the idle indicates a good mixture - I've always aimed to get the car running at about 750 RPM when adjusting the CO screw :? I can't help but wonder if I've been keeping the revs down by using an excessively rich mixture :think: We'll see tomorrow I guess!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 am

josh2109 wrote: I can't help but wonder if I've been keeping the revs down by using an excessively rich mixture :think:
Or lean :) Both will screw the idle. I tend to adjust it until it sounds happy, but you need to monitor the idle position screw as well. Just wait until you're adjusting 4 barrels.... :lolno:
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 pm

Brunty wrote:
josh2109 wrote: I can't help but wonder if I've been keeping the revs down by using an excessively rich mixture :think:
Or lean :) Both will screw the idle. I tend to adjust it until it sounds happy, but you need to monitor the idle position screw as well. Just wait until you're adjusting 4 barrels.... :lolno:
Had a play with the colortune Monday, turns out I had the mixture too rich :roll: The colortune is a great tool though, it made setting up the fuel mixture a doddle, rather than the conventional guesswork! £24 well spent I'd say :)

Had a result today at any rate, the Scirocco passed it's MOT with the new ARB bracket and adjusted idle mixture. The CO was 0.99% this time, so a massive improvement over the previous 5.90%. I wasn't charged a retest fee either, so all in all I was pretty pleased with that :D went and taxed the car straight afterwards, and it's now ready for the role of being the daily commuter :) Still got a few running issues to tackle, but I feel like I'm getting somewhere now!

I'd also just like to say thanks for all the helpful advice so far!

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Glad to read that all went well. A big pat on the back for all your efforts.
Though I no longer work due to too many ciggys I use mine as a daily driver and I have a couple of pals that do the same about an hours drive away from me.
I can think of about 5 of us north of the border who all have scirocco's as daily drivers so it is good to hear about another being added to the "daily driver" list.
I'm afraid I am not into the polishing and showing side and prefer the maintain, drive and enjoy them side though I try my best to keep her looking as tidy as I can.
1 years MoT feels great. :clap: :clap: Yahoo !!!!!! :D :D
ENJOY.
:thumbup: :D
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:11 pm

Superb :thumbup:

You could richen it up a bit now ;)
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks guys :D Getting the years MOT is always nice! And it means this car is officially saved from being scrapped for a while :lol:

Old Mac Rocco - I'm in the same boat I think, getting them running and keeping them running is number 1 priority :) I do my best to keep them looking nice but I don't have anything that's in concourse condition as the money gets spent on parts rather than bodywork :lol:

Brunty - The mechanic recommended a CO figure of about 1.50% being a good one to aim for, so in light of your advice and his I've enriched the mixture slightly. At some point I'll see if I can sneak down my mate's garage and get it measured and set up properly.

So, moving on to progress for today - I found out what this part of my autochoke should do and how it should be connected:

Apparently this a thermo-pneumatic valve, and it controls whether or not the the secondary stage of the throttle can activate. It's connected up via the green hoses in the below diagram:

Below 28 degrees the valve is open, which means the secondary stage throttle can't activate as no vacuum can be held. Once the valve heats up above 28 degrees it closes, the secondary throttle stage system can now activate as vacuum can be held. Apparently this valve was only fitted to 1.6 litre manual and 1.8 litre automatic cars built after 1984, but I'm kind of hoping it may help solve the problem of my car cutting out when the engine is cold and the throttle is opened up. Only time will tell I guess! Failing that my Golf is a 1.6, so I can just swap the auochokes over :P Credit to Rubjonny's excellent Prierburg guide for the above information btw, as that's where I read up on this :)

I also tackled my incredibly low idle of about 400rpm once the engine warmed up. I took the car out for a spin and got the engine nice and hot, then adjusted the idle back up via the 3 point unit to roughly 750-800rpm. Much better :) I'm hoping this may have a knock on effect of sorting out my currently non-existant cold idle too. The autochoke works, so I'm thinking that the throttle wasn't being held open enough by the 3 point unit when the engine was cold. Failing this working, I guess I'll have to fid a way to adjust that cold idle screw :?