My '88 Scala

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
josh2109
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Re: My '88 Scala

Post by josh2109 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 pm

It's been a while since I've last updated this! Although thats mainly because it's been a while since I worked on or drove the Scirocco :( I didn't have anywhere to work on my cars, so it was parked on the next street along, and sat there for weeks :(

But then we upped sticks and moved :) bye bye 2 bed terrace with a shared parking area, hello 3 bed detached house with off road parking for 5 cars 8-) No points for guessing what made me fall in love with the house, and luckily my girlfriend loved the extra space and the bigger kitchen (I'd like to add, that's not a terrible bout of sexism from me there, she genuinely loves cooking :lol: ). The garden was larger and more secluded too, and with a Labrador who thinks he's a guard dog, that sealed the deal really!

Home sweet home :) the rest of the drive is blocked from view by Laura's Xsara :roll: there's also space for a car behind where I was standing too! So I set about retrieving all my other cars as well as the Scirocco, and bringing them to their new home:

So we come to the only catch with the house - a previous occupant had turned the garage into a playroom :o

I rectified this in the first week!

Job done 8-)

Right, that brings me up to the beginning of last month - more to follow shortly :)

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 am

So, it took a while to settle in (still not properly unpacked!) and the Scirocco was laid up whilst I ran my Accord as my daily. The battery inevitably went flat, so I charged her up the other weekend and went to catch some sun:

:cool:

Shame about the bonnet though :( at any rate, I was hoping a blast through the countryside would sort the battery out, but no, later that eve it wouldn't start again. So on the drive it stayed again... Gave me a chance to check the fuel tank out though

Not as bad as I expected, but not exactly great. To be fair though my cutting out has stopped recently so not sure what's going on anymore :?

At any rate, today a new battery arrived, and I also bought new fuel hose clips :) I promptly fitted the battery & clips, and got out on the road to go to my Dad's house after being drafted in to fix one of his MX5's. The traffic was light and seeing as the car had been sat for a while I gave it a bit of welly to blow out the cobwebs... This used to result in losing power and rolling to a halt, but today it was fine :)

So that's about all I've achieved up until today :lol: I'm changing my car rota though, and using my Scirocco for work this week. The goal is to rotate it so all the cars get a go, but usually I'm a bit too lazy to stick with the plan :lol:

Next on the list: fit my 3 series fuel filler neck. You never know, I might even do it this weekend!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 am

Progress in just taking it out for a drive! Mine are all work in progress at the moment :(
Brunty

Barnes84
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Post by Barnes84 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:21 pm

This is brilliant. My housemate just found this thread, I'm proud to say I am the new owner of this Scala!!

My mate and I completed a couple of repairs this weekend. Managed to get a second-hand filler neck out of a C-reg down the local breakers for a tenner, along with a standard grill to replace the one pictured. After replacing the neck I managed to fish out the remaining rusted metal fragments with a handy little magnet on a string. We also repaired a problem with the windscreen wash/wiper switch which looks like it's a reoccurring issue.

Next on the list is the damn water leak!! Both my house mate and I own mk2 sciroccos and both have the similar issues. We did the hose trick and found water leaking through a repair to the drivers side rear wheel arch, so I guess this explains a portion of the moisture in the car. But, the car also builds a little reservoir down under the rear seat against the drivers side foam pads. There are several holes without grommets but there doesn't seem to be any trace of water remnants heading down. There didn't seem to be any water entering in when we did the hose test but over the next ten minutes or so whilst I was giving her a spruce up, water began to pool. Our best guess is that water is slowly trickling along the wiring.

Going to do a bit more work in the near future, but am really pleased the fuel issue is sorted so far. I'll update with some pictures shortly.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Nice to find some recent history I guess!

Hope you keep it longer than the previous owner ;-) (I don't recal it being for sale, but have been a bit busy lately). So what plans do you have?
Welcome to the forum btw :-)
Brunty

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Hi and welcome.
It's amazing what you find on the web, buy a car then find out that someone at least tried to keep it going rather than just scrap it which is the usual result when things go wrong.
Lots of help and advice on here all you have to do is ASK.
Hope you keep the car and give it all the attention it deserves.
I still run mine as my daily driver and even today still get the thumbs up from other drivers when sitting at the lights and in the petrol stations.
GOOD LUCK with your car hope all works out well for you. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
:wave:
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by ianaudia4 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Welcome, always good to see another car saved and back on the road.

I had a water leak when I first got my Scala, I found it by mixing coloured chalk (car is white!) with water in a watering can and then tracing the water/chalk mark. Mine was from the clutch cable /bulkhead repair patch.

Where are you based?
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Barnes84
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Post by Barnes84 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 pm

[img]<iframe%20src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/46990567@ ... n></iframe>[/img]

Here she is sitting next to my house mates down the beach, enjoying some sun back at the end of last year.

And, yeah, I am using her as my daily run around down on the south coast. She is a pleasure to drive, I used to have a Mk2 Polo as one of my first cars and have never felt right in anything since. Driving the Scirocco around you can feel the road, sometimes like a sledge hammer to the spine, but I love it and intend to keep doing her up and driving her for the foreseeable!