My '88 Scala

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
josh2109
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

My '88 Scala

Post by josh2109 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi folks,

So I recently became the owner of a mk2 Scirocco Scala :) Got it quite cheap as it's definitely not concourse condition, however I'm hoping it shouldn't be too much work to get it into respectable condition. Here it is the day I picked it up

When you're a 25 year old car the darkness is your friend :lol:

And here it is on my drive, the morning after getting it recovered home the day I picked it up :roll:

The bonnet looks squiffy as I didn't shut it properly, the bumper looks far wonkier than it actually is too.

So, onto the initial 'to do' list:

Replace head gasket
Clean out fuel system and replace filler neck
Remove Pierburg on manual choke as it was doing my nut, replace with autochoke Pierburg
Fix front windscreen wash/wipe
Find the leak in the boot
Figure out why the rear of the floor pan is wet :?
Replace the Corrado seats with Scirocco Scala seats
Fit a stereo
Fit an 8v GTi camshaft (did this on my Golf for about £11, made it drive like a different car!)
Sort out trim/scruffy bodywork
See if I can get it any lower :twisted:

Think that's everything, feel like I've forgotten something though :lol:

I've made a little bit of progress since getting the car, I've posted this up on the Scirocco register however it doesn't seem very lively over there which is why I've jumped ship over to here :D Please excuse me for copying the next couple of bits from my posts there :oops:

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Re: My '88 Scala

Post by josh2109 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm

This one's from Monday:

Made some progress today :) I had 3 Pierburg 2E2's at home, then picked up another 2 for a fiver yesterday, so with enough spares to have every base hopefully covered it was time to sort out my Rocco's carb. After a bit of tinkering and learning I have managed to get the one I fitted to the car working fairly nicely. After I first fitted it, the car idled constantly at 2,000RPM immediately after starting and didn't slow down upon warming up. The wire earthing the carb was mullered, so I made my own replacent (making sure to put an insulated spade connection half way along for all the times I'll need to remove the carb :lol: ). This made all the electrical parts come back to life :) took a newer expansion element from another Pierburg and fitted that, which solved my high idle, it now drops gradually to 1000RPM as the engine warms up. Checked the autochoke function which seems tip top (the most important factor for me - I absolutely hated the manual choke on the car :evil: ). Finally, the non return valve on the vacuum line leading to the vacuum reservoir was fitted the wrong way around - turned it around and I got the cold start fast idle function back (that initial few seconds of high revs)

So all in all I think that should be all I need to do for the time being with regards to the carb. As a precautionary step I replaced all the vacuum lines whilst the carb was out, as although they looked fine it was a good chance to fit some fresh lines to extend the carb's life. Not had a chance to road test it yet though as I have no tax :(

Next job on my list then is the dreaded rotten fuel filler pipe. I so don't fancy sorting that right now though, I bet it's going to be a ball ache :| I do have a sticky throttle to sort too, but not too sure how to trouble shoot that - are there any common reasons for the throttle not returning when you release the pedal? I had this on my Golf too after changing a snapped cable, is there something you should do when refitting the cable to prevent it sticking?

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:14 pm

And this one is from Tuesday, and is the most recent update:

Tonight I decided to sort out the fact that my Scirocco has no stereo. To make matters complicated, at some point in the car's life the loom has been hacked up :roll:

So, firstly I traced all the wires from the speakers, and wrote them down on the wiring diagram from my Haynes manual. I had to do this as the colours of my wires were different to what the manual said they should be. The remaining few wires were the correct colours fortunately! The next step was to cut off the existing bullet connectors, strip fresh bits of wire and connect some insulated female spade sockets. It sounds simple but the wires for the rear speakers were a nightmare! They were really short so I couldn't get them out the dash to use my crimping tool to strip them, instead I had to use a pair of wire cutters very carefully by poking the wire through the slot into the cubbyhole below.

After the connectors were fitted:

Next step was to split the constant live into 2 wires. This would enable me to connect it to the switched live on my head unit as well as the constant live. To do this I made a tiny loom from 2 bits of wire and three spade connectors:

Couldn't find my red wire so had to use black :lol:

I didn't fancy buying a new ISO adapter, so I just cut up a spare Honda one I had. I fitted male spade connectors to all the wires on this so that I could plug it into the Scirocco loom.

Not an awful lot of space in there!!

From here it was simple, just fitted the stereo cage I had, and slotted in a spare head unit :) I somehow made it this far without any injuries, so of course I managed to take a load of skin off my thumb on the cage :roll: :lol:

Moment of truth:

:D

So I now have a stereo, and I've got to say after the amount of hassle it was to fit it kind of makes me appreciate it more than on the easier installs I've done. Just a shame it's blue and not green!

Whilst I was playing around with the sound system I thought it would be a good chance to fit a leftover set of speakers I had from my Golf, as the parcel shelf speakers in the Golf fit the door cards and parcel shelf of the Scirocco, and my door speakers were in tatters.

Just need speaker covers now for the front and rear, then I can leave it all alone for a bit.

Next up on the list is find out why my windscreen wash function has died again. First time it was a dead pump, which I replaced and it fixed the problem. Now I reckon it's the relay that's let go.

Another small problem I fixed today, and with the help of my lovely girlfriend, was my sticking throttle. A few minutes spent adjusting the cable seems to have sorted everything out :) I now have a Scirocco that starts and drives on a Pierburg 2E2, even in the freezing cold 8-)

And on that note I'll leave you all with some icy Scirocco pics

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:50 am

Nice, you've made some progress already :thumbup:

The stereo wiring always seems to have been hacked around, and yes, it does get a bit tight in there!

Has it blown the head gasket? It's not a routine maintenance item, so if it's good you're probably better off leaving it alone.

Filler necks themselves are easy enough, just the clamp that secures it to the rubber flexi at the tank will probably have seized and you'll need to cut it off. Also the bracket that holds it at the top of the wheel arch may well have rusted away.

Leak in the boot could be the main rubber gasket - I've had some success by taking it off, cleaning it all up and rotating it 180 degrees or so. Gives it some fresh rubber to squash. It can also be caused by the gasket around the lock, the light clusters leaking and getting through the bolt holes in the hatch hinge and lifters. Have a search around for other leaks as it's been asked a few times.

I would have thought the Corrado seats would shift easily as they're considered an upgrade for the Scirocco.

Agree with the GTI cam btw :thumbup:
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah to be fair my Golf radio loom is a proper bird's nest too, I think after so many years and so many owners it's bound to happen. Hopefully I've made this one a bit simpler for any future owners :P

Yep definitely got a mullered head gasket, lovely mayo everywhere when you open the oil cap. Had the same happen on my 8v Golf and fixed it on my drive, so will deal with it in the summer when I can be bothered to start stripping the engine. You're right though, in an ideal world it's better to just leave old engines be as after enough years pass they just don't like being pulled apart :( Chance to go through and replace anything on the head that's showing its age though, plus put new valve seals in and fit a GTi cam. And to paint the rocker cover :lol: And even to change the belts, another fun job I've had plenty of practice with on the Golf. Hopefully come the end of summer I'll have gone systematically through the top half of the block and done any work that needs doing. Who knows, I might even finish off my bike carb project that's in the loft :twisted:

I've got a filler neck from an E36 3 Series that I got from the breakers, just need to bend it a bit and all should be good. Just a shame it's not really the weather for crawling around under the car currently, as it's the job I'd most like to get done!

Thanks for the tip with the boot seal, I might give that a try when the weather gets a bit better. If my girlfriend is really lucky she might get to come out and hold a hose over the boot whilst I crawl around inside trying to find the leak :lol: Will definitely have a look through other threads to see what other folks have done to sort their water problems, there's only so many ways it can get in!

Yeah they're not bad seats at all, quite comfy!! Just being light grey they look completely out of place in my car, it was originally the blue Scala trim inside and that's what I want to go back to. For the time being the Corrado seats are fine though, tbh my biggest concern with regards to seating is that I'd like to get some proper 3 point belts in the back, lap belts are diabolical!! I've heard there's mounting points present for a 3 point belt, is that true? I was just htinking of going to the breakers yard and getting some belts and buckles out of a Mk2 Golf and fitting them if so, there's a couple of Mk2 Golfs aat my local yard so it would be an easy job if the mountings are present.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 pm

I only ever seem to do the fuel filler necks during winter. It's always wet and horrible!

Also suspect the heat exchanger for a water/oil leak as they are known for going (never had one go myself though) and the symptoms look the same as HGF. Try and do a compression check, if the break goes through the fire ring it'll show.
Brunty

josh2109
Beginner
Beginner

Post by josh2109 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Will run a compression test this weekend then. When the gasket went on my Golf it was between two cylinders that it failed, iirc it's something that's fairly common, at least on the 8v Golfs. Usually stems from cooling problems though as the blocks are prone to warping when they get too hot.

Whereabouts is this heat exchanger then, is that the proper name for the oil cooler or something?? My Golf never had one so it's not something I'm familiar with unfortunately!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Yes, oil cooler - it helps heat the coolant up from cold and cool the oil when hot, hence heat exchanger... It's the ally block your oil filter is screwed to.

The heads will warp more readily than the block as they're ally, the blocks cast iron. But in practice I've never warped a head. I've skimmed them for a little extra compression though, and the valves are non-interference so you can take quite a bit off.
Brunty

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by ianaudia4 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:31 am

The oil cooler was only fitted on injection cars, this is a carbed Scala, so it should not have one!
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Ah, I did wonder as I was writing it...
Brunty