new project

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
sidious
Beginner
Beginner
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

new project

Post by sidious » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:23 pm

well hello everyone im a newbie on here but been working on my rocco since feb last year in my spair time and thort id finaly get on here as recomended by a friend, i bought the car and was pleased with the overall condition of the car underneith had been well looked after by previouse owner who fond it in a garage after 10 years in storage so the only real rot on the car was external body mainly the doors and a few patches here and there over the rest nothing major for a car this age i was very pleased with my find for a very reasonable price, so far i have replaced both doors and drivers side front indicator removed and treated all rust and fillered dents and holes so all that remains for the body is the respray also carried out by me however im staying with the origional tornado red as much as i liked the colour when buffed up but red fades and i want to keep the car looking mean and fresh for years to come so have selected a colour for the porch gt3 series graushwarts (grey) with a little indishrot red detailing i will try to keep you all upto date as best i can but not good at remembering to take pics so bare with me then its on to the interior......

the day i brought her home.

the next day i started work on the drivers side wing as a kind man drove his range rover down the side the week befoer i picked her up.

the old doors were a little rusty so off they came ready for the new (second hand) doors

unfortunately the bonnet was in bad shape as the previouse owner had poorly fitted bonnet pins without a drill bit just hammered holes thrugh the bonnet.

i have many more pics i will upload as i progress hope you all like and any ideas advise is welcome
scirocco gt2 1.8 carb

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Re: new project

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:52 am

Hi and welcome.
Had a look at your other posts and it looks like you have a lot of work on your hands but it also looks as if you are up for it with all the spraying you have done so far.
Also had a look at your want list and I'm sure if you search around you should be able to find most parts at a reasonable price.
Unfortunately you have not given a location as some members may be near you and able to deliver / collect to save the hassle of posting.
Even just a rough location would be of some benefit to let members know where you are and if you are within easy reach.
I'll have a rummage around and see if I have any bits and I'll let you know.
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

sidious
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sidious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:39 pm

hay there thanx for your advice im in the kings lynn area norfolk, i must take some pics of how shes coming on as got the new doors on now and almost ready for spray altho im having trouble with one of the doors it sits too far forward and nearly touches the wing cant see any way of adjusting it to sit back a bit.
scirocco gt2 1.8 carb

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:59 pm

It shouldn't really unless there is some damage.
Check door gap both sides and compare.
May just need a couple of washers to sort out the gap and get a good fit.

sidious
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sidious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm

un fortunately washers wont help here as they will push the door further forward im not sure on damage the car is straight so am gessing there is a problem with the doors the old doors fitted fine all round
scirocco gt2 1.8 carb

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:54 pm

It's an old trick but the washers would go between the hinge and the bodywork to move the door further away from the front wing and creating a bigger gap at the front of the door.
This is sometimes used when a door drops and the placing of a washer in the bottom hinge lifts the door until the problem can be fixed properly with new hinges / doorpins.

sidious
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sidious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:09 pm

umm i must be missing something hee as the hinges on mine should i put a washer in wold push the door firther towards the wing its realy frustraighing ill see if i can get a close up pic to help me explain, im very grateful for the help tho
scirocco gt2 1.8 carb

sidious
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sidious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:25 pm

UPDATE PICS

doors off
new door on with no gap

wing repaired

bootlid de rusted around badges

for some reason the front valance had alot of holes in it

front bumper smoothed off

hope you all like more coming soon
scirocco gt2 1.8 carb

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:31 pm

I had a similar problem on one of mine with a replacement door being way off. I took a sledge hammer to persuade the hinge into the right place.

Have a look at the A pillar though, it might be that the wing is mounted too far back, as when I did mine I couldn't even close the door.
Brunty

scrumpyone
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Post by scrumpyone » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Keep the Tornado Red! If there's any left :lol:

Nice Rado behind.
667...the neighbour of the beast.