White Scala :)

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Re: White Scala :)

Post by ianaudia4 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 pm

Nice. What colour illumination are they mate?
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26 am

Well over the last few weeks I’ve finally fitted the triple gauge kit, well 2/3rds of em anyway. First off getting the original lower centre console in or out without removing the seats is nearly impossible unless you cut the rear metal brace free, then it required mots of swearing and removal of virtually everything except the top dash!!!!

The voltmeter was a really easy fit, take out the fuse box connect to one of the free blade connectors on the right hand “negative” side of the box and then earth it to the round earthing block job done ;)

The next job though was much more difficult, the oil pressure gauge. I had already bought an adaptor so that I could I could retain the oil pressure warning buzzer but this was quiet big. So much so, and after several brews and “test fits” meant I had to swap round the oil temperature and pressure sensors on the engine to give me enough room to fit them. Even then it require the top of the dizzy being remove and copper washer spacers to ensure the second side connector screw thread ended up facing to the front to the front of the car so it could be used.

This all in it was tome to drill through the bulkhead, this had to be on the driver’s side as it offered more room, I carefully measure “with eye” to the passenger side of the other capillary pipe and drilled through, looked in the engine bay and for the life of me I couldn’t find the hole. Then I saw it right through the wiring loom!!!!!! A brew to calm down later I went out to see the damage, removing the outer black rap to reveal the wires, thankfully I’d only shaved a few of the wires, none were broken so I taped them up and alls working for now. Hooking up the pressure gauge was straight forward then, the only thing I need to do is get it out abit more to bleed the air out of it but all seems to be working.

Now I did say I only got 2/3rds working, the temperature gauge came pre-assembled with the sender already attached, and the addition of a fitting kit. Unfortunately the screw threads for both the oil and water temperature sensors are only 10mm, the screw thread on the sensor was over 13mm. currently its not connected so I’ll be on the lookout for a replacement. It’s a shame as the kit I got was really good value for about £55, still we live and learn. Oh and the lights are a yellow, they were hooked up to the light that originally lit up the ashtray ;)

All just needs a cleanup and some back to black

Eefy AKA Heath

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:50 am

After buying a new blower motor of ebay a few weeks ago it was time to fit it, and thanks to some advice of Old Mac Rocco and Scumpyone though I’d show how I did it. Now for those who will need to do this the Haynes manual would have you strip out the centre console, empty out the coolant before removing the heater module before removing the motor from above. This is a faff and to be honest not needed so heres how to do it the easy way.

First off the blower motor is located below the very delicate raintray (take you time removing this VW made it so flimsy and brittle it can crack very easily) this is what you’ll see-

To get it out you’ll need to remove the wiper motor/mechanism located on the drivers side completely-

The you’ll need to remove the resistor pack that on the front of the blower motor assemble, this is just held in place by some tangs on the metal bracket and disconnect the 2 wires (obviously disconnect the battery first)-

The screw that holds the bracket in is also the only screw that holds the blower motor in place to simply remove it and the blower will be free to move.

Now comes the fun bit, to get it out you’ll need to split the casing into 2 parts, there are about 5 clips all the way round as well as some rubber holders to the back. The picture below is the new one to give you an idea-

Once its split it two and with some jiggling you should be able to withdraw it from the drivers side, hence why the wiper motor was completely removed-

As that say, refitting is the opposite of removal, but saying that I took a lot more car in splitting the new one in halve than ripping out the old one!!!!!

Also one thing to not is that once the new motor is in place and put back together make sure its “hooked” into the heater module at the back. If it’s not you won’t be able to refit the wiper mechanism.

As you may have seen on the pictures the leading edge that was under the rubber seal/raintray wasn’t in the best of condition-

So I used the excuse to give it a clean up and a spot of paint, so it was out with the sander before some rust treatment and then 2 coats of etch primer-

Before a few coats of white-

To be honest in hindsight (with some over spray to sort out) I wish I’d just got some white Hammerite to coat it but we live and learn.

Next, thanks to Joost, it was time to fit my new raintray, the old one was cracked all over the place-

As you can see it’s a lot thicker and more robust than the original-

Fitting needed some patience, due to the thickness of the plastic it needed some persuasion to go on, as did the front rubber seal (with the help of some washing up liquid) but it looks much better-

Eefy AKA Heath

scrumpyone
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Post by scrumpyone » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 am

:clap: good work Eefy
667...the neighbour of the beast.

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 am

cheers mate, took about an hour, with 15mins trying to get the thing out before shuggying it over to the drivers side, after completely removing the wiper motor :) thanks for the help though :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Excellent work eefy, this is what it is all about.
Now a lot more people will try and do it themselves and learn more about their cars.
You appear to be the same as me, start one job and ending up doing two.

As a side note are you still looking for a white (with a few chips and scratches) front number plate holder ???????
If you are drop me a pm as I may be able to help you out. ;) ;)
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:09 pm

to be honest I knew it needed doing from when i "tried" to get the original blower working so been waiting for a warmish day for the paint :) PM'd you by the way :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by Scally_Wag » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:56 am

Where did you get the rain tray from mate? Mine is knackered and covered in overspray from the previous owner.

scrumpyone
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Carb

Post by scrumpyone » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:36 pm

667...the neighbour of the beast.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified