White Scala :)

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Re: White Scala :)

Post by eefy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Well with some nice weather and time on my hands over the weekend, i fixed a problem with the rocco. When I sprayed the front bumper I had some paint flake off along the bottom of the black strip, rather than touch it up with a pen I decided to mask it up and spray it while on the car the day beofre last years national meet!!!!! Big mistake, the paint I used was VW aerosol rather than the mixed up one,as it turns out it ws thicker and I ended up with curtains, and overspray :(

So after a rub down it was some fresh paint :)

And back on, even took the grill off and gave it a lick of satin black to freshen it up-

Just needs a t-cut and its done, much better :)

you may also have noticed I removed the micro fog lights, the main reason was one has has a leak and had dulled/yellowed. what a job getting the brackets off!!!!!!! damn you VW for bolting them on before attaching the from of the bumper!!!!

I have a replacement set to go back on this weekend ;)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 am

Lookin smart there Eefy 8-)
Brunty

The Interceptor
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by The Interceptor » Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 am

Really good work. :D
MK 3. Deep black pearl Scirocco R, 280ps.
MK 2. Pearl grey metallic 1.8 GT (project car)

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Well after removing my micro for lights and brakets it wa time to fit some new ones, got these off ebay for £12ish delivered, bargain :)

Had decided that fitting the after market fogs will be done properly this time, the small ones had just been fitted with bullet type connectors but that was it.

In preperation I'd got a job lot of shrink wrap and the slid connectors I would need. So with heat gun set up it was time for my first attempt at wire shrink wrapping!!!!!

decided that it would need 3 grades of tube so they would bond to each other.

I had also stripped out the wiring loom for the fogs out and fitted the connector to these, note how I used oppersite male and female connectors for each wire, this was to ensure both were connected up the same and stop me blowing fuses, like last time!!!!!!

So fitting was quick, just needed to use the self tappers to screw it to the bottom of the bumper, it also helped that there were two places on the bracket to mount the light unit. The top one tight up against the bumper.

For a belt and braces job I even shring wrapped the connectors ;)

So here they are fitted :)

Right it now needs its new wheels fitting and a damn good clean ready for Alltypes next weekend.
Eefy AKA Heath

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by ianaudia4 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:25 am

A grand job you have done there Heath. :thumbup: :clap:
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 am

Not so sure about the angle the lights are at, they should be pointing down. :?
Need to have a look at the bottom of my bumper to see what sort of an angle it sits at.
:wave:
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun May 12, 2013 9:57 am

They look better than your old ones :)
Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Yeah they look more stock dont they :)

oh and over the last few days my mates been putting the new rubber on the refurbed 5 spokes, and i could help but throwing em on the other night :)

thats better :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri May 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Better :)
Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Well after getting a Mk1 Golf drop top lower centre console at the 2012 VWNW and a lower rocco centre console curtsey of Mr Funk thought it was about time to combine them together. As you may have seen I couldn’t put it in the conventional place where the ashtray is as I already have a fold out cup holder there.

So this is what I started with-

And after lots of head scratching on how to cut the gauge panel out I started removing plastic with my trusty dremel thingy :)

I ended up cutting a strip off the top as well as the top of the inner cubby hole, this was in order to hide the gauges and wires once filled but also to give me something to screw everything to!!!!

First mock up :)

In order to get a better flush finish I needed to trim some buts out on the bottom-

It was then to start thinking of how I was going to mount it in the rocco’s centre console, I decided to cut down the back of the rocco’s cubby hole and using a heat gun fold it down-

As I found out the Golf centre console is about 5mm wider than the rocco’s, so I trimmed the inner plastic ribs to allow the edged to flex more, with will be needed later when its finally together.

That way I could sit the gauge panel on top, the original plan was to rivet the two pieces of plastic together but my rivets weren’t long enough, thankfully I had some small nuts and bolts and they did the trick-

With the back secure I needed to make up a bracket to hold the front. This was made up from a section of door skin I had knocking around bent into shape.

The rocco’s centre console is doubled skinned and with the steel only being thin I decided to break out the riveter again to secure it to the sides and base-

After a few attempts one of the side would just not hold a rivet and the space between the skins was too shallow. So I called it quits for the moment to think of something else.

I did though try gluing the front edge to get it all lined up-

And just one of the mock up in the car as I was sorting out how to position it-

Hopefully I will finish it off next weekend, then all I need to do is buy some gauges.

Oh I’ve also got some off these for welding in soon ;)

Eefy AKA Heath