White Scala :)

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Re: White Scala :)

Post by eefy » Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Over the last few weeks I’ve got a few niggly jobs sorted on the my rocco, the first was a degrease and clean of the engine bay (let’s just say it still needs more work), next was treating some rust on the battery tray-

Some white, as it turns out very white, Hammerite was liberally used in 2 coats for added protection.

But the main niggle was the 2 rust spots on the inner lower corner of the rear lights caused by the numberplate panel vibrating-

First job was using my Dremel thingy to grind back the rust and paint, there were a fre more spots noticed as well-

Then it was rust treatment

Before etch primer

And a several top coats

All that was left was to wet and dry the “edge” of the paint and t-cut

When I removed the rear lights I had the added issue of one being sealed in (it had leaked in the past) so when I finally prised it from the body it ripped the black seal from the lighting unit :(

Thankfully I still had lots of seal to this was added as well as to the numberplate panel making sure to ass some to the corners to stop them vibrating

And finally it was all back together.

Next job is the front valance, not making it look pretty just stopping the rust and protecting it probably with stonchip and hammerite
Eefy AKA Heath

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am

Superb job as usual :clap: :clap: :clap:
There is only one tip I'd give you and that is When using seal, as in the third last picture, place the seal vertically as this helps to eliminate the risk of water gathering and our old pal rust appearing. You could have ten vertical strips 7mm wide and this would give you a total of approx 70mm where water can gather though unlikely due to it being a narrow edge against approx 300 long strips that any water has to find a way past or through.
Keep up the good work as I always enjoy your "How To" Items. :thumbup: :thumbup:
:wave:
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Wed May 07, 2014 1:42 pm

good thinking OMR, will get it changed over summer :)
Eefy AKA Heath

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:49 pm

After a few years of looking at the front of the rocco and noticing the rust peeping through the front body kit it was time to sort it out. Now this was never going to be complete grind down and fill but more prevention and holding back any further damage while making it look better. So after removing the bumper and lower kit, a job that only needed a few screws drilling out, and taking out the grill this is what I was left with-

So what did I find, well more serious rust than I expected-

So first job was to attack it with my multi tool with a grinding disc attached-

Lets just say there were areas of rust which were all the way through which means unfortunately the front will really need to be replaced at some point, but for now it was just to hold back the rust, so first up-

3-4 coats later-

Next was some 3-4 coats of stonechip, which as it worked out was virtually Alpine White, seriously it was that close-

Finally 2-3 coats of alpine white-

Now while the grill and eyebrow I just had to give a few coats of satin black-

And all back together-

Only real problem was when I masked it all up for spraying I forgot to do the bonnet catch, which is now white and stands out behind the grill, so it will be getting a few coats of satin black before the national meet ;)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:11 am

cheers for that Brunty, if it were closer i'd have it, looks like a bargain :)
Eefy AKA Heath