White Scala :)

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

White Scala :)

Post by eefy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:53 pm

Thought I’d start a project diary for the rocco, so here goes. We’ve had the car about 3 months and done some works (not a lot) so I thought a good starting point would be to list the jobs need when it was picked up-

To do list-

-Drivers wing mirror plastic smashed DONE
-Front passenger shock knocking DONE
-Parcel shelf loose both front a rear DONE
-Fuse box cover missing NOT NEEDED
-Engine needs steam clean (has had a major blow out at some point looking at the state of the bonnet) DONE
-rear number plate loose DONE
-squealing fan belt DONE
-passenger window will only go down half way (think the door is twisted)
-front window washer bottle cracked
-usual slight rusty chips etc
-new battery DONE
-inertia rear belt (needed for little ones car seat) DONE

That’s all so far!!!!!

Jobs done to date-

Fan belt-

After a supposed drive in the car to give it a run we got on to the M60 when there was a burning smell and the engine started over heating quickly, I mean very quickly. I couldn’t even make it half a mile to the next exit. A minute under the bonnet in the hard shoulder and yes, the belt had gone!!!!! So next day after getting towered back home (took out break down recovery coz the car is 16 years old) a new belt was fitted 

There is still a little squealing but this got diagnosed when the car went to a mate for it suspension to be fitted, the bolt that holds the alternator onto the engine was missing and therefore tension kept being lost.

Parcel shelf-

The rear parcel shelf has had new rubber lifters  and the brackets were replaces using a few bolts and some refashioned jubilee clips

Suspension-

I bought the car knowing the front shocks were knocking, but when a rear wheel needed new rubber due to a puncture I noticed the rear shocks were almost rotted through. I still can’t believe that someone only a few months before had fitted new lowering spring to these!!!! This would be the reason that the rear wheels were so cambered that they stood out further than the body work!!!!! This did help when backing on to the drive meaning no body damage when I it the fence (nuff said about that he he)

You can just about see the camber as was on the front wheel-

what was removed!!!!!! As you can see the springs have only covered about 500 miles!!!!!

Any following on from this I decided to replace the lot and a reasonable £110 later a full set of springs and shocks were mine (40mm lowered), BArgin. I wasn’t bothered about performance because the car won’t be driven that hard and we wanted it to look right and be safe.

The car looks a site sooo much straighter and better. The handling is also sharper and less vague.

It’s not much lower than before, but it drive better

That’s all so far, but before VWNW the engine bay is being steam cleaned and hopefully inertia rear belts are being fitted and its getting a serious clean and wax :)
Last edited by eefy on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eefy AKA Heath

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Re: White Scala :)

Post by eefy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

Well jobs are getting done on the rocco, in the last week or so its been on for a engine steam clean and as you can see alls looking clean and tidy-

When we got the car there had been a big oil leak, it was so bad I thought the inside of the bonnet WAS black!!!!!, still now it means I can work on it without getting covered in oil. It also showed up some more rusty bits.

Next job was essential; the rear seatbelts needed changing from static to inertia. This was so my little ones car seat could be securely put in the back. I had bought replacement Securon 254 belts from a VDub site for £80 the pair. Considering the official Securon site had then on for £75 each they were a bargin :)

As you can also see the fixed belts also look very messy-

First job was stripping out the original buckles from the boot-

This was easy, the only panic I had was the new buckles weren’t going to be long enough to get from the bolt position through the rear seats. But they just fitted.

Next was the top fixing point on the C pillar, this too was easy. The only real issue which I’ll have to keep an eye on, is the new seatbelt reel touches the window on the passenger side. Other that this an easy fix and adjusting the pendulum to suit the angle way a 5 second job-

As you can see following advise from other sites I buckled up the belt before doing the bottom fixed point. These again were straight forward once the bottom of the rear seat was out. Was surprised that this was only held on place by 2 10mm screws!!!!

All done and some adjusting later the car was back together, even took the opportunity to give the rear seat a clean and vac out the rear of the car. As you can see the rear seats look a lot better with the new belts, less cluttered-

Next job for the weekend is replacing the drivers wing mirror :)
Eefy AKA Heath

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:33 am

Over the last few weeks the wing mirror has been replaced-

Before-

This was an easy job, just required stripping off the door card-

How ever getting the unbroken mirror out of the original wing mirror meant having to rip it apart!!!!! VW defo make things to last, but a pain to maintain, the plate the mirror is stuck to (missing on the replacement) is plastic riveted to the motion thing this in tern is welded to the white back of the mirror casing, oh and these don’t come apart. So 20mins later with some brute force and some pliers I finally got it out-

after getting some superglue the mirror was in the new case and on the car and looks much better :)

Some thing else which has needed sorting since the car was correctly lowered was the rubbing of the wheels, after some running around to buy new replacement wheels as one is seriously kerbed I finally got some p-slots :) these originally came on the higher spec version of the Scala. In the process of looking at wheels I’d also discovered the off set on the alloys that are on the rocco were only 25mm, they should have been 40!!!! So £62 and a trip up to Preston later I had my new wheels :) there far from perfect but will do for a year or so till i can get them refurbished.

Before-

Now-

you may also notice I’ve changed the side repeaters to clear as well, the fronts will change as well :)

The difference in the ride is unbelievable, no more rubbing, no more cringing when I go round corners, not more shudding at 70mph!!!!! its like some one replaced the car, soooooooo happy with it now :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:45 am

Excellent, it's coming together nicely. The P slots came off a Scirocco GTX and a certain mk1 Golf (cabrio...?) And £62 is a pretty good price too! They seem to be getting more desirable as time goes on.
Brunty

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 pm

2 of the tyres are pretty much band new, still have the nobbles on the sides, as said they'll need a referb next year, but the inportant thing for me is its now drivable and the lowereed suspension is also fine ie not tooooo low :)
Eefy AKA Heath

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk3 R 280

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 pm

eefy wrote:2 of the tyres are pretty much band new, still have the nobbles on the sides, as said they'll need a referb next year, but the inportant thing for me is its now drivable and the lowereed suspension is also fine ie not tooooo low :)
I like it ! I wonder if my suspension / wheels need tweaking the ride on mine is pretty bad (with potholes etc)
Bluestreak56
Now Scirocco-less :(
64 BMW X4 20D M Sport Auto (Sophisto Grey & Ivory White)

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by eefy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:28 pm

Well the only job done last weekend was a quick wash over and installation of the sticker me mate got me :) one day i'll upgrade it to a Nurbergring one, well when the otherhalf lets me blow a load of money on insurance, fuel and be away for 3 days!!!!!!

Eefy AKA Heath

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:56 pm

Make it 5 days ;)
Brunty

Dingodub
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Dingodub » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:16 pm

I'll knock you a decal up for hee haw if you want....I work at signs express dude..just give me a rough dimension.
Suggestions and advice welcome!

1990 Scala - GHOST OF "SUE"
2008 Vectra SRI

ian
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by ian » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Looking very good. Had a white Scala myself until some berk in a Berlingo shortened it by about 2 feet while it was parked. I think I can save you one of the jobs on your list - Sciroccos don't have a cover over the fusebox.
Ex 2.0 16v on twin Webers, 1 GTi, 6 Scalas, 1 Storm and a Corrado since 1991. Now graduated to a Corrado VR6.