Wildrider

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk3 R 280

Wildrider

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:03 am

After being a life long fan of the rocco purely for its looks as a nippa last year was the first time I was old enough and earning enough to be able to afford the insurance on one. It was also the first time I was able to convince my folks to let me buy one (sports car + old is not a good combo for us youngsters apparently).

I'm quite a specification junkie as you may have noticed looking at my posts and when I was looking for my first rocco I was looking for one exactly to the spec I wanted.

It had to be a Sapphire Metallic Scala Injection for several reasons:

1) Loved the colour
2) Body colour kit, bumpers, wing mirrors, etc
3) MFA with MPG calculator
4) Later model so hopefully more around and in better condition
5) Had luxuries such as central locking and electric windows on more later models

So I went hunting for a low mileage, good condition Scala Inj in Sapph Met.

Having previously had the following cars:

1) 1994 Nissan Micra 1.0L Red 3 dr (had it for 3-4 years)
2) 1996 BMW 320i SE (E36) Metallic Green 4 dr (Mums old car had it for a few months before I traded it due to poor fuel consumption)
3) 2005 Mitsubishi Colt Mirage 1.1 Pearl Grey Metallic 3 dr (had it 9 months loved it but just loved the rocco more..)

I had never really driven an old school car before. Although the Micra did not have power steering I was now used to it after driving a year with cars that had and was on the look out for a roc with it (in the one in a million chance it had it).

But alas Sapph met scala injections are quite rare and the very few I saw pop up in my few months searching did not really seem to be in great nick.

I tell a lie - there was one in great condition and the chap only wanted £995 for it but unfortunately he decided to keep it at the time. I then bought Wildrider and he then ended up selling it anyway.

I first saw Wildrider on ebay for sale in Surrey - the chap who owned Wildrider had had him approximately 2 years. Bought as a standard GT2, the engine was stripped and replaced with the kr 1.8l 16v injection from a mk2 golf gti valver. A 4-2-1 manifold was applied with a large bore Peco exhaust. Also a "home made power steering kit" was added. The brakes were upgraded to discs all round with 288mm on the front and mk3 gti calipers on the back. The master cylinder was also upgraded. A beestinger aerial was added and some newly refurbed 15" Le Castellet (Rivage) alloys were employed. The car was lowered 40mm on springs and a Corrado steering wheel replaced the standard GT2 one.

All this meant it was one hell of a modded GT2 in the very rare colour of Pearl Grey Metallic.

All the work was carried out by the previous owners brother (an ex vw mechanic - arnt they all!)

All this meant this standard run out GT2 with some nice perks (colour, leccy windows, remote central locking and sunroof) was turned into a meaner more modern day rocco. Ok its not a 2009 model scirocco but it has improved on alot of the older technology.

When first viewing the car it seemed rather low, a few bits of body work that needed doing up and it lived on the road. The previous owner said he had the car in the shop doing all the upgrades for the first year and in the 2nd year had only driven it about 2000 miles before then buying an Audi S4 for peanuts on ebay.

I took it for a test drive and was shocked how different a drive it was to anything id ever touched before.

Still I didnt let this put me off and I bid on the car on ebay. My dad had warned me about bidding over a certain price threshold but I really wanted this spec car - I'd never seen another rocco with power steering and still have yet to see one.

I bid on it and won it. When we picked up the car, the by now legendary brother of the previous owner was there to hand it over to me. I think he was rather aggrieved that it had sold for as little as it had (as he felt he could have split the upgrades / parts for more).

But his loss was my gain as Wildrider turned out to be a fantastic buy. Since I bought him I've also added a few of my own personal touches.

Below is the spec:

1) Factory Fitted Options

1992 Volkswagen Scirocco GT2
Pearl Grey Metallic (LA7U)
Manual
Tilt & Slide Sunroof
Electric Windows
Central Locking

2) Modifications Added To Date
(The ones in blue I have done since purchasing the car)

16v Injection engine from Mk2 Golf Gti (kr) with MFA
Power Steering from a Nissan Sunny / Metro 100
Uprated Brakes (Discs All round) - mk3 callipers on brackets with 285mm black diamond grooved and vented discs, Rear discs conversion with grooved discs, mk2 servo and 22mm master cylinder
Four branch manifold with large bore Peco exhaust
15" VW Rivage Alloys (Le Castellet's)
Alarm & Immobiliser with Remote Central Locking
Corrado Steering Wheel
Beestinger Aerial

Black / Red Two Tone Leather Seats & Black leather door cards
Lowered 25mm all round (Weitec Ultra GT)
Gti Headlamps / Tinted Headlamps
Red / Black SCIROCCO branded mats from JustMatz
OMP Anthracite Lower Front Strut Brace
K&N Air Filter
CD MP3 Player with Bluetooth
Scirocco Rear Windscreen Sticker Decal
Red / Smoked Tail Lights
Red / Smoked / Clear Indicators
Red / Smoked Side Repeaters
Grill Spoiler
Small Fogs
Transformers Mesh Grill
Brass Clips for Parcel Shelf

Fixes

New Battery
New front bumper insert, cover plasticized and painted
Bonnet rubbed down, smoothed and resprayed
Front wings resprayed

3) Modifications To Come

Digifiz
Roof Spoiler

Possible modifications:

Kamei Kit
Tinted Windows
Heated Seats
Electric Mirrors
Electric Folding Mirrors
Aircon
Electric Sunroof

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to use this section to list all the issues with and what I needs doing..

Problems/ Damage / Repairs / Issues:

Diff bearing check?
Lumpy Idle on Cold Start (going away)
Scratches to sunroof & preventing them occuring again
Fuse box has loose wires protruding.
Door sill plastic cover runner connectors need replacing.
Glove box wont close properly or lock. [Does if I give it some force towards the top of the dash]
Number Plate light bulb covers need replacing.
Doors Sag a little (New door pins required)
Last edited by bluestreak56 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 55 times in total.
Bluestreak56
Now Scirocco-less :(
64 BMW X4 20D M Sport Auto (Sophisto Grey & Ivory White)

Tozzy
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Re: Wildrider

Post by Tozzy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:36 am

I can tell you the reason for the cd player and clock issue.

Cd player = CD players, as you may know, have two 12v feeds. A constant for the station, track and settings memories, and a switched 12v for turning it on and off.

The Scirocco doesn't have a switched connection through the ignition that goes to the cd player. Just a single constant 12v feed.

At the moment, you'll probably have a single 12v line from the battery that goes into both lines at the cd player end. Most wiring looms for cd players have two bullet ports on the 12v line, so you can run something else from there (something small... not an amplifier) and people just wire the 12v switched into that second port.

You can combat this by adding a wire to the first stage key system and wiring it through to the cd player 12v switched, or, you can just put a switch in the 12v switched line that goes to the second bullet hole from the 12v line.

This is what i've done. Means i can use cd player without keys. Also, the 12v power switch in my key barrel has died (probably from use) so i've put another switch in there. The electrics in a scirocco are 90% straight wired. No relays. This takes alot of toll on the switches. I suggest wiring in seperate replaceables rather than using important ones like your key barrell.

Clock, always on. Don't worry about it. Doesn't pull much current, and won't drain your battery.

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks Tozzy I'll look into that although most of it went straight over my head at the moment!

I can see some research being needed ... but cheers will save me a few bob :-D
Bluestreak56

Tozzy
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Tozzy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:16 pm

No problem. I've spent alot of time arsing around with electrics in my car. That's where most my problems have been :P

In fact, 90% of problems with cars are electrical!

The most important thing you can do is buy yourself a decent multimeter :P

If you get any questions about what goes where, or what to plug into what, just ask. One of us will be happy to help. I'm a n00b too really, compared to the rest of the people on here!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Tozzy wrote:
The most important thing you can do is buy yourself a decent multimeter :P
Seconded
Brunty

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Right this weekend I put some new bulbs in I bought from Aldi and fixed the small side bulb that goes into the dipped ones on the drivers side.

Also fixed my clock which required a paper clip because the buttons are so far back!

Removed the pioneer CD player and put my dads old tevion in (primarily for the bluetooth) bad thing is the thing doesnt clip in because the unit is too long !!! So now its sitting loose :-(
Bluestreak56

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:26 pm

You can modify the box the radio slides into. Take it out and peer into the black hole, there is a piece of plastic that you can screw the radio to. Remove it. The radio will slide all the way in then, you may need to make something up to hold it in place, but as far as I can recall the metal cradle thing should hold in in pretty securely.
Brunty

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Brunty wrote:You can modify the box the radio slides into. Take it out and peer into the black hole, there is a piece of plastic that you can screw the radio to. Remove it. The radio will slide all the way in then, you may need to make something up to hold it in place, but as far as I can recall the metal cradle thing should hold in in pretty securely.
Cheers brunty, I noticed the peice of metal / plastic at the back was restricting it but wasnt sure how to get the box out (I shall consult Haynes) I may be able to bend it to accomodate as I only need what 2mm of space!
Bluestreak56

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Right I couldnt be bothered with the stereo all in all, it sits ok.

Moved on to putting my lip spoiler on, which looks sweet :-D really takes away from some of the minor issues with the bonnet / wing.

Then I checked out the oil level as I have a leak somewhere - was down to nada so I replenished that.

Gave it a wash and took it out for a spin, but as I did there was a crash of glass :?

Turns out my drivers side side repeater cover flew off and got smashed :-(

I guess its a good thing as they were clear and I have smoked indies and tails so time to get some smoked ones I guess !
Bluestreak56

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 am

Tozzy wrote:I can tell you the reason for the cd player and clock issue.

Cd player = CD players, as you may know, have two 12v feeds. A constant for the station, track and settings memories, and a switched 12v for turning it on and off.

The Scirocco doesn't have a switched connection through the ignition that goes to the cd player. Just a single constant 12v feed.

At the moment, you'll probably have a single 12v line from the battery that goes into both lines at the cd player end. Most wiring looms for cd players have two bullet ports on the 12v line, so you can run something else from there (something small... not an amplifier) and people just wire the 12v switched into that second port.

You can combat this by adding a wire to the first stage key system and wiring it through to the cd player 12v switched, or, you can just put a switch in the 12v switched line that goes to the second bullet hole from the 12v line.

This is what i've done. Means i can use cd player without keys. Also, the 12v power switch in my key barrel has died (probably from use) so i've put another switch in there. The electrics in a scirocco are 90% straight wired. No relays. This takes alot of toll on the switches. I suggest wiring in seperate replaceables rather than using important ones like your key barrell.

Clock, always on. Don't worry about it. Doesn't pull much current, and won't drain your battery.
I've been thinking about this over the past few days ..

I took my CD player out when the battery died and I think Im beginning to understand what you mean. When I had the Pioneer in, the wiring look for it had 2 feeds (the secondary going to a spade connection on the wiring loom). However with the new CD player I've put in, I dont need this so Ive taped it up with insulation tape.

However, I have a 12v 20A rocker switch laying around which I could use to wire this to and then control the power to the CD player (if my thinking is correct).

Only thing is since its a single line - I assume it would go to the positive port on the switch and nothing would go to the other 2 ports? This is where I get a bit confused. So if I wire the free feed into this switch, with just the + connection, will it allow me to control power to the stereo?

Thanks,
Bluestreak56