Singh's Rocco

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Singh's Rocco

Post by dsingh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:40 pm

That design is soo compicated forget that, All the metal i got was between £100 - 200, All i believe you need is A frames at front and back of the car and a sew saw with forks pivoting on the A frame

cushti
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by cushti » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi Brunty i know its been a long time. Changed jobs at the end of last year to set up a new division for corrosion monitoring for Oceaneering Europe so thing have been flat out in fact i am not far from yours just now with work. I am at humberside airport. Anyway yeah that design is complicated but with the ability to move your shell is good also you need to find the correct point for the centre of gravity or you wont be able to flip the car with ease and it will also put strain on the frame and locking device. check out the pictures on my post. its Cushti rocco http://www.sciroccouk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 5&start=30 it took me forever to find the perfect point. the design that my one has is basic and has a L shaped bit of 10mm plate that is the same length as the bumper irons. i then drilled them to suit the bumper mounting points which is 107mm centre to centre if i remember correctly. then i used 2 M12 bolts with nilok nuts and a washer at each side to help spread the weight.

Cushti
89 scirocco
08 dodge avenger

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 am

Just a quick welcome home cushti I thought you had fallen off the edge of the world.
Good wishes as far as your new enterprise goes, I hope it is a success.
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 am

cushti wrote:Hi Brunty i know its been a long time. Changed jobs at the end of last year to set up a new division for corrosion monitoring for Oceaneering Europe so thing have been flat out in fact i am not far from yours just now with work. I am at humberside airport. Anyway yeah that design is complicated but with the ability to move your shell is good also you need to find the correct point for the centre of gravity or you wont be able to flip the car with ease and it will also put strain on the frame and locking device. check out the pictures on my post. its Cushti rocco http://www.sciroccouk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 5&start=30 it took me forever to find the perfect point. the design that my one has is basic and has a L shaped bit of 10mm plate that is the same length as the bumper irons. i then drilled them to suit the bumper mounting points which is 107mm centre to centre if i remember correctly. then i used 2 M12 bolts with nilok nuts and a washer at each side to help spread the weight.
Sounds like you have got a right project on sounds like it will be a sweet ride, i might buy a 2nd Rocco after this Resto for a full on MODFEST anyway we shall see, keep us posted wont you.

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Day 9

Post by dsingh » Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 am

Hey guys, its another day on the project, unfortunatley there is nothing much to do on the car yet until i can get it on the Rotisserie, The sunroof is still to come off and i am in the middle of purchasing a Chrome Golde Sunroof Handle if the price is right.

Back on with welding the Rotisserie, just the feet & chassis leg forks to weld. We used 2 coach stands (big yellow stands that the car was on earlier in the project) and a white plastic sheet so people visiting / working in and around the garage did not get Arc Eye (i believe its called) / protecting peoples eyes from the bright welding light if anyone wanted to know what that was there. We had to make due with the small Mig welder with 0.8 wire i believe. there was another Mig welder that was 3 times the size but it had 0.6 wire. Anyway following are the pictures. They say "picture paints a thousand words" hopefully these will just save me explaining everything we did.

Oh and by the way i was doing the majority of the welding as i picked of the knack of it really quicking, impressed even if i say so myself.

The front chassis leg forks welded.

And the sparks fly!!!

It burns!!!

Testing the front chassis leg forks.

Fits like a glove.

What it will rougly look like.

All we needed to do was thread through M12 bolts for the feet so the Rotisserie could be flat packed. we tried drilling like a 7+mm hole through 4mm ish steel box section and that didnt work so we tried 5mm HSS-R drill bit but it was blunt. so bought a new 4.5mm HSS-R Bosch bit from Screwfix not B&Q because they are really expensive because i checked (Screwfix are owned by B&Q aswell so its abit odd for Screwfix to be cheaper) for £1.69 that did a few holes until we put to much pressure on it and it snapped and half of it dug into my leg. Dont worry it was only a puncture on the leg. so tried the blunt 5mm HSS-R bit and we snapped that bloody thing too. Argghh!!!

Mad Dash to Screwfix bought a 5mm HSS-R for £1.69 aswell and finished the holes then widenened them with the 7+mm drill bit.

Just need to widen it again with a bit for the M12 Bolts and we are done.

And all this FAF without a pillar drill.

And the end of the day.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 am

Looking forward to seeing it all mounted up :D
Brunty

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Brunty wrote:Looking forward to seeing it all mounted up :D
So am i, its taking over 2 bloody days to make the flippin thing. :wtf:

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Day 10

Post by dsingh » Tue May 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Finish off widening the holes, went out and bought a 7mm HSS-R Bosch bit and then used an old 10mm ish HSS-R bit to get the M12 bolts through, 7mm was on Air drill, 10mm ish was on a stupid rusty electric drill. the bit drill bit kept gripping the metal as i was trying to widen the holes and ripping its self out of my hands. Luckily no injuries even though it happens like 3 times. Note to self is to use a pillar drill or be very straight & firm.

Finshed :) so now get the forklift in.

Look, it thinks its a dead duck.

Now it looks like a train trailler

wasnt as secure as first anticipated due to crap welding on not so flush straight metal. also used a lorry strap to bring the stands in as the weight was bending the frames inwards.

Scratch its belly next!!!

It was pretty even for a shell to rotate so needed a hand.

Get the forklift back in because the stand really did need some more welding and modification.

Once the cars Rotisserie was welded and modified we took it for a jet wash in our local Albanian car was that was just in our car park, so borrowed the pressure washers and blasted away the grease and much in the Engine Bay, Arches & underside.

That was our Saturday, we had a Lazy Sunday & Bank Holiday Monday at home when we should of really been working on the car. Any way that was our day what do you all think.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Tue May 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Looks like a great start. I take it the pivot wan't quite straight making it hard to rotate the shell?
Brunty

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm

yh just a little, not bad though for our first attempt.