Singh's Rocco

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Singh's Rocco

Post by dsingh » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Photos ready to upload and update you all on the progress i have made at the weekend, Plus i have got a bandwith warning from photobox because i have got so many people checking my posts, photobox has a 3gb bandwith limit for a month loading / viewing the pictures and i have reached 2 of 3 gb within a week of using it. Considering i have the same posts across 3 different forums and equally getting as much attentions as each other. Buttt its late so will do it tomorrow lunch time, watch this space.

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Day 4

Post by dsingh » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Up in the air still started working on removing the engine.

Front view and taking off the discs & calipers

Discs & Calipers off now.

Its back on the ground now after a long time up in the air, pretty much unplugged the engine from the rest of the car and needed to lower it. we couldnt do any more work on removing the engine without help so started on the interior.
Oh and if your woundering i have a twin brother its not camera trickery. :lol:

Just chilling in the car, Are we heck we are ripping the Dash apart, no i mean gently removing parts from the dash.

Look How much i got out from just my side of the car. Way to much plastic in this car, it will be put back in at a later stage but i want to see how it runs with bare minimum and not all the extra weight.

Passenger side door, looks pretty good considering its age.

Passenger side under the Dash. spaghetti junction at the moment and its scaring me.

Across the seats to the drivers side is a similar story.

Drivers side door is in good condition. Oh also surprised this things got electric windows.

Oh the wires, they scare me but dont wory i have taken pics and vids of where they have come from.

between this point the camera batter was dead and not plugged in anywhere and we managed to lift the car using the box sextion steel pipes it was sitting on and a fork lift. lifted it mid height and dropped the engine. I mean quite litterally, we didnt do it on purpose it was semi supported. i will explain that in a minute but we got the front and bottom rear engine mounts off easily, and it was swinging (forward and back) on its side engine brackets. The Passenger engine bracket was unbolted easily but sure wasnt the same story for the drivers side bracket. For some reason it was seized and not even air gun could get off, it didnt help all the weight on just the side brackets and it not being alligned because of the swinging. So "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND" the blow torch, i didnt want to have to do it but it needed to be done so the rubber bush and engine bracket was melted off. The chassis bracket is ok but the engine bracket is horrible and hard to look at :cry: . Then it fell down like 15 cm onto a hydraulic engine table and proceeded to fall on its back off the table onto the floor. its seems ok, just some scuffing on the air intake hole and some little thing snapped off behind it, hopefully its alright but we should be able to get a new air intake manifold (i think its this) if needed.

Empty engine bay.

Empty engine bay from below.

Empty engine bay looking into front passenger corner.

The horrible horrible melted off engine bracket :cry:. Should be fixable.

Empty engine bay looking into front drivers side.

The scorched symbol, the side where the bracket was.

The scorched chassis engine bracket.

The radiator & air filter off.

The car currently with major bits under the car.

A used passenger side wing in better condition than mine for £15 from STK German Spares also known as and more updated on ebay is Dubs R Us

A bit of repairable rust on the wing.

A nice white bonnet so i can tinker with, i dont want to ruin the orginal for £35 from STK German Spares also known as and more updated on ebay is Dubs R Us

The un noticed VW emblem on the white bonnet that i dont have on my Storm (i believe).
Last edited by dsingh on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:15 pm

i wanted to ask what is the current value of a Storm in good condition so i know not to start over spending on getting it in running order, i would like to get it back to working order but do what is nessasary to also get it to last a long time. What do you all recommend changing or replacing on the car.

Thanks, looking forward for to feedback.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 pm

That badge on the bonnet will have been stuck on by a former owner...

It's quite difficult to put a value on a Storm these days as it's all down to finding a buyer who is willing to pay for the exclusivity. IMO they're worth about £4,000 if they're in pretty good (original) condition, but if they're in average condition they may not fetch any more than your typical GTX/GTI.

By the way, your bandwidth will have been exceeded so quickly due to the size of the pics. As you're using Photobucket you may have noticed that you can get it to automatically resize the pics as you upload. If you upload them and get it to resize to 1024 across (17" monitor size) then it'll save a load of time and you won't have the same probs :) Hope that helps!
Brunty

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:10 am

Brunty wrote:That badge on the bonnet will have been stuck on by a former owner...

It's quite difficult to put a value on a Storm these days as it's all down to finding a buyer who is willing to pay for the exclusivity. IMO they're worth about £4,000 if they're in pretty good (original) condition, but if they're in average condition they may not fetch any more than your typical GTX/GTI.

By the way, your bandwidth will have been exceeded so quickly due to the size of the pics. As you're using Photobucket you may have noticed that you can get it to automatically resize the pics as you upload. If you upload them and get it to resize to 1024 across (17" monitor size) then it'll save a load of time and you won't have the same probs :) Hope that helps!

Thanks Brunty, i have given a budget of £1400 thats excluding the car price that was £600 so that should make me break even but if i could get £4000 then i could probably stretch the budget to £2000 instead now and try a bit hard on the car to get it to a better condition.

As for the image issue, i cant be bothered using photbucket now, i will be uploading a tonne of images on a regular basis so i will just upload them to a sub site of my website that way its unlimited then etc... bare with me people i will get the images back on the forum i have to change the image location links in the post.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:42 am

Just keep an eye on autotrader, pistonheads and ebay to get an idea of what Sciroccos sell for. Just to get an idea, look at the 1984 era cars in particular.
Brunty

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Post by dsingh » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Updated the Picture Locations from stupid Photobucket to my own website Gallery, its basic but does what i need it for as i am an Amatuer Photographer aswell.

http://sikhiinhd.com/gallery2/main.php

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Day 5

Post by dsingh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 am

Driver side Wing comming off and what the hell is that flippin stupid glue or rubber sticking it to the car :x it bloody took us 40 min to figure out how to prise the damn panel off the car.

You can see the residue left from that stupid Glue / Rubber crap and the end result. :D

Passenger side Wing took half the time once we got the idea.

Steering Rack off but only after finding you have to actually remove the bolt that actually stops its comming out and is not only there to tighten it.

Forklift time :thumbup: , absolutely nothing to do under the car, because its all off. :D

Oh and its me operating it because lets say Bro is better at stabilizing the car than driving a forklift. :lol:

Those Truck / Coach stands are coming away, the cars loved being so high like a monster truck i swear.

Dont worry we wont drop you, i would dare :silent:

Come on your coming down.

Get on the floor!!! :P

Wipers off.

Start inside now.

Driver seat out.

Passenger seat out.

Look at the space. :o

Dash was already half disconnected and unscrewed but out now.

Is this what it really would of looked like in the factory. :|

Get those wires out the way.

Look at those wires, scary!!!

Blowers been dropped and the pipes from the engine bay pushed through.

Remove that damp stinky carpet. :sick:

Some progress.

The interior outside.

The Rest.

So currently looks likes this.

dsingh
Beginner
Beginner

Day 6

Post by dsingh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Rear number plate & plate holder removed.

Car tilted back after all the weight was over the pivot point so the car nose was in the air. :lol:

Me relaxing, NOT we just removed the rear speakers and the carpets covering the shelfs.

Rear passenger window kicked out, dont worry it was prised out first and a little pressure needed from my foot.

Rear driver window came out with less force we made sure teh window seals are not damaged in the process.

Remember i said the car had been sat in the rain for 4 odd years, well it turns out after trying to remove the boot that you have to take out some of the roof lining to access the boot bolts. That was the only way we could see or access any bolts to get the boot lid off, so started cutting up the roof lining and the 4 years of rain had been soaked into the roof lining foam. so decided to remove it all and found it was secured in by the windows so took the windows out then could really get the lining off. As you can see the leather lining goes over the window edge and the window sits ontop of that. We abandoned removing the boot because we cant find an easy way of disconnecting the wires that run into it from both sides, can anybody help :?:.

We but some wooden block at the back of the car to stop it tilting back with excessive weight and doing that see saw thing. Driver door removed easily.

We nearly rounded the nuts on the passenger door hinges, thats how much force we had to use on it, bit of wiggling, swinging of the door and WD40 and the nuts unscrewed. :thumbup:

Run out of things to do on the car without superivision so back to the boot and remove the spoiler and all the nuts apart from 1 came off, we used so much force with the screw driver to unscrew it. got harder and harder to uncrew, used mold grips which tested our strength to get a grip on that damn screw. the mold grip moved it fractions until it actually snapped off the welded nut on the other side of the bracket so it was just spinning attached to the nut so had to get the grinder out. :crazy:

Rear passenger interior wheel arch cover removed which was all nice and new beneath.

Different story on the rear driver side wheel arch. Oh the rust, i going to faint. :o

closer look at those rabbit holes. :x

Not happy but it will be repairable i hope. :prob:

No Comment. :wtf:

Can see the wheel arch rust from inside.

Oh God Why?

Its like an earth quake that tore a fault line all the way to the back of the car.

So currently, we had to put the stuff back in the car because we havent much room to put the parts as it is a working garage.
It made sense to put the tank in the engine bay.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Ohh the rust :(

The rear wheel arch is caused by the spot welds that hold brackets for the fuel filler neck so seeing rusty patches there is common, but I've not seen a hole before.

The wires for the rear demister a pain. I cut them so you can leave them in place, when the time comes to re-assemble you can solder them back up again.

Good progress on the strip, I await the fixing stage with bated breath :D
Brunty