Scally

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Scally

Post by Brunty » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Scally_Wag wrote: I m in crete on my honeymoon but i will try and get some pictures of it up on here with all the wedding ribbons all over iy.
Awesome :thumbup:
Brunty

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by Scally_Wag » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Right guys been a while but im back and will be adding some more pictures soon.

Ive finally changed my fuel tank and for anyone who is thinking of doing it then dont lol :D Dont follow the haynes manual for the later models of scirocco as it is a totally different fitment. All went well and it started first time but I stil had running issues. When it came up to temp and the revs dropped a little it would die. I checked everything and found a split vacum hose so I replaced that and it still did it. I had already replaced plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap and the ignition modual but it still did it. The last thing I thought it could be was the coil as it was still the 20 year old original. A trip to my local motor factors and 25 quid later and I have a car running like a dream.

Well I now have an annoying noise from ther rear. It sounds like a rumf rumf rumf that gets faster as I go faster. I have a theory that when a dropped the rear axle the hand brake cable pulled on something in the drums so need to take them apart again and have reset of the shoes.

Also got to look at why when I turn my lights on to full beam it turns the lights out one side. Could this be and earth fault? If so where do I start to look?

Also got to change the front brake hoses and rub down and spray the solid brake hoses before the MOT.

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member

Post by ianaudia4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:39 am

I would be looking at the relay and the light switch before delving into the cables, easier to do first!
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Been a while but now starting to get back on track now that the rocco is SORN again. Now the fuel tank is sorted in slowly going throught the advisory things after the last mot.

First thing was the lighting issues. Everytime i turned the lights to full beam the entire right side when out. The mrs changed the fuse for it but it didnt do anything. I was even looking at relaying them but that seemed very complicated to a novice like me. I tried checking to see if I was getting power to the right side and it wasnt. I was starting to think I may need to call an auto electrition to have a look. On a whim I changed all the fuses for the lighting even though they all looked ok, even the original ones. To my suprise it worked.

The mrs replaced the boot lock seal and iv decided to do a few small things to make me feel as though im getting somewhere. Ime going to take the seats out and give them a clean up and replace a few bits so they dont rock about.

I just have to give the brakes a clean up and replace the pads. I may go for braided hoses but later on. I have to get a new tyre and sort out a water leak and im certainit will be ok for the mot.

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Glad you got your lights sorted.
Sometimes it is just something as simple as a bad connection or a loose wire and you can spend ages looking for it.
:wave:
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Im so glad I got it sorted. Its funny because even the smallest things that I do now is exciting me because I know it will just add to it before the mot.

Fingers crossed I will have it ready for spring.

:P :D :lol: 8-)

Wind
I drive a: Mk3 R 260

Post by Wind » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Would be curious to see those pictures, a friend of mine has one and he's gonna sell it/scrap it and was thinking about buying it for myself as it's still in good state

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:57 pm

I have been away a while with a few bits of life that has got in the way a bit. Well Im back. Ive sorted my water leak with a new coolant flange as the original one had a crack in it. Not been able to check it to see if the new one leaks as Ive not been well recently.

The only thing that needs to be done now other than filling it up with coolant is new brake pads (as I had sticky sliders and i think they may have stuck on a few times) and a quick oil change and she can be MOT'd. I may even treat it to a new rocker cover gasket and ive found one with new bolt thingys that hold it down as mine are a little lose. may even clean my k&n air filter to help with the emmissions.

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Old Mac Rocco » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Glad to read that you are just about there both health wise and car wise. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Did you ever get rid of your
rumf rumf rumf that gets faster as I go faster
???????

Was it the brakes or a bearing ??????????

Keep up the good work and keep us up to date with your progress and if you need anything just shout.

:wave:
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:58 pm

I did, it was the rear brakes messing around. A little re adjustment and they were sorted.

Not been able to do anything so far as ive been doing house stuff lol. Fingers crossed next week I will be able to fire her up again.