Scally

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Scally

Post by Scally_Wag » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Thought I had better start one of theres diaries as I ve been on here for a while now and never really got round to sorting it out. Ive had the scally for about two years now but have only driven it a couple of times because its mot ran out and I had a new job working for the ambulance service and shift work as really got on top of things at the moment.

Well I have to get it ready now for my wedding as my Fiancee wants to use it as our wedding car.

The list of things that need doing seems to me getting long by the day but I will do a little bit at a time and hopefully the jobs wont build up and get the best of me. here goes:

New drums, shoes and bearings on the back.
New disks and pads on the front (its already has golf 16v brake upgrade)
New Lowering springs as it has a lazy spring on one corner.
I will get the garage to do the welding and sort my exhaust problem out as i dont really have the knowledge to do it myself.

I will try and keep you up to date as I go along and hopefully get some picture of its use on my wedding day.

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Re: Scally

Post by Scally_Wag » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:57 pm

Bit of an update already, just got some kit to get me started and motivated.

I know some people have already done a photo run down of doing them but I thought I would also do the same as it will help me stay motivated and also people can tell me if im doing it wrong or not lol

ianaudia4
Established Member
Established Member

Post by ianaudia4 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:47 am

Kamei X1 stripes, "rare as" and they look the dogs danglies, nice.
1989 Alpine white Scala injection - Fully restored
1984 Havanna brown Storm - Fully restored
2006 Audi A4 3.0 TDI S-Line Quattro - Daily driver

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am

Excellent! Hope everything works out as it should. When is the big day? Put your to-do list up so we can offer assistance if needed :) car looks great btw :)
Brunty

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 am

I have a couple of weeks off coming up soon so hopefully time and money allowing I can get all the brakes sorted!

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 am

Glad to see if you got some motivation :) look forward to seeing the progress
Eefy AKA Heath

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm

I know its been a while but thought I had better update my diary as I have been quite busy in the scally.

first thing was that i had some rear brake goodies turn up:

So I craked on a fitted them. I took some advice from our next dorr neighbour who was a mechanic in the 60s and 70s. He showed me a way of getting the bearing races in without having to take them to get pressed in. I had some old races the same size laying around so he said tap the new ones in till they just bite then ues the old race, fat side down to beat the new race in. Then you can use the fat side as a more stable area to hit them back out. Worked a treat too:

I gave the whole rear brake area a clean up. I had already fitted new handbrake cables:

Then all put back together nicely. So much easier with all new parts:

The next stage was to replace the springs as it was that that was causing once corner of my suspension to sag a little. i only dropped it 25 which is more than enough for me and to be honest it looks better that way:

something missing lol

While they were off i had a steering rack gaitor that needed doing to i did that too and it went on a lot easier than i thought it would:

While the springs were off the front i decided i might as well change the wishbones and bushes as i had them in the garage already so with the new springs inplace:

and thats where my pictures end lol. I did the rear brakes in a day and the springs and stuff over a couple of days. It has since been for it mot where is failed on about 7 different things. On being me being a numpty and not tightening the bolts that hold the shocks to the hub. Think I must have been rushing it a bit.

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Well im one very chuffed Scirocco owner!! the garage have fixed the rocco and even tuned it up and sorted the timing out for me so it runs like a dreams. Its not taxed and tested so I can once again drive a classic VW!!!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Now T&T?

:thumbup:
Brunty

Scally_Wag
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Scally_Wag » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:59 pm

yeah all done brunty. I m in crete on my honeymoon but i will try and get some pictures of it up on here with all the wedding ribbons all over iy.

Just got to get a new fuel tank on it now as if i put over half a tank of fuel in it it leaks. I think it has rusted through higher up.