Where to start?

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Where to start?

Post by Brunty » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Didn't leave him a mince pie? :(
Brunty

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 pm

All excited again, my new Weber Carb has arrived I have read the instruction and now wish I had taken note of the Vac tubes when I removed them but I will figure them out at some point,

All I need now is a five hour window of opportunity. :D :D

eefy
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by eefy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

5 hours sounds right for a job that should take an hour on a rocco lol well in my case anyhoo :)
Eefy AKA Heath

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Well, the five hour window of opportunity arrived and I managed to establish vacuum hoses :D

All going fine until I got to the point that said examine carb rubber mount, I had sort of assumed that it would come with kit :oops:
So now ordered one, awaiting next five hour window of opportunity.

Meanwhile I have decided that the shocks will fail the MOT and suggestions, I would like to keep the ride height similar to original but would also like to change the springs as they do not look too healthy but I can see no cracking.

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:43 pm

I knew I should have stopped and sought assistance but I have now managed to ping the circ clip from the end of the accelerator cable into the ether. :cry:

I don't suppose anyone knows the part number so I can see if VAG still do them?

Moved car and recovered with the help of a very strong magnet, seems it traveled about 9ft :D

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:16 pm

A Red Letter Day :D

After over twelve months the car has moved under her own steam. The Weber is in and working fine with no need to adjust, idling at about 850 rpm when warm so I am generally quite pleased with myself. I reckon it took about 5 hours solid to fit it but I would prefer to do it right rather than have to go backwards to correct a mistake.

Have also replaced the boot lock seal and fixed the aerial and even washed it. One issue regarding the auto box that I will post in technical queries and that is the engine bit sorted. I have had the wheels off and there is a reasonable amount of surface corrosion on various running bits but nothing structural. The bodywork appears to be sound throughout. Fuel filler pipe is corroded but not yet holed so I will be having that off for remedial work (I was thinking of rust removal, rust kill, Hammerite and Denso tape, anyone with any experience of using it on the down pipes?)

I think it will fail its MOT on corroded brake pipes and suspension, but I am tempted to submit it for testing to get a definitive list. May see it on the road this side of Christmas.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Awesome :D (Over 12 months?!)

You'll need to check the fuel filler on the inside. If doubtful maybe check out making one from a 3 series bimmer, or if you can weld, a mk1 golf.
Brunty

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Brunty wrote:Awesome :D (Over 12 months?!)
Looking Back it was well over twelve months (Feb 2012). Thanks for the advice to look down the inside, I will get an endoscope and shove it down next week.

Policy decision made last night, That is to return it to teh road ASAP. I have ordered new shocks but I am maintain the current springs as I could find no faults with then. Two new tyres ordered for fitting on Saturday and then MOT when shocks fitted.

I am assuming I can legally drive it to a MOT station (pre booked) without TAX and MOT provided that the car is insured?

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Fatlemon wrote:
I am assuming I can legally drive it to a MOT station (pre booked) without TAX and MOT provided that the car is insured?
Yup! Otherwise I'd have been screwed many times! :D
Brunty

Fatlemon
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Fatlemon » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:37 pm

1644 days after she was last on the road she is now booked in for an MOT on Thursday (plus a little work in the garage that I could not be bothered to do before hand). It has taken a while plus many diversions into other matters but I am now getting excited.
Last month has seen me complete:-
the fuel filler neck repair (the BMW plastic one and a heat gun failed so I have patched the old one).
New wishbone and bushes
New shocks fitted (after about three years on the shelf)
New pads and disks
New wiper blades and other sundries.

Never did resolve the leaking boot, I've replaced the lock seal and it is definitely not coming in there, I have removed the spoiler and resealed around all the penetrations. So any ideas?

I will post when it is back on the road, but as i am going away on the day of the MOT it will be at least 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed.