Rocky goes Eco streamliner!

Keep a diary of your rebuild or project here.
roccomole
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Used to own one

Rocky goes Eco streamliner!

Post by roccomole » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi folks,
havin owned my 1st scirocco (rocky the GT2) for a month now, time for some changes!

Ive given him a service & a general checkover, every £1 spent seems to make him drive better........i love the car.

But as Baldrick says....I have a cunning plan!

What with fuel at an all-time high & the scirocco being a fab compromise between driveability & day-to-day economy.....im gonna try & improve both!!

I plan to smooth out the body, removing the side trims, removing & smoothing the roof runners & generally flush-fitting anything to try & make the car pass through the air swiftly & smoothly.

Im gonna try & shave a bit off the curb weight to aid the process too

Then i plan to take the stock 8V 1.8 & tune for efficiency as well as power (one usually comes with the other anyway) so that on part throttle it actually uses less fuel.

Question: does the rear spoiler only aid downforce or is it part of the cars aerodynamic "profile"??
asking cos' i had planned to remove it!

Watch this space ;)
Peugeot the drive of your life??....YEH RIGHT!....Get a scirocco...Loser!

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Rocky goes Eco streamliner!

Post by Brunty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:53 pm

Good plan. I managed about 50mpg in FUT with the tuned 1.8 8v K-Jet. But that was an incredibly boring drive!

The rear spoiler will aid downforce, but only once traveling at some speed. I think it also cuts down on drag because of the sharp edge, if that's not there I think it causes turbulent air and lower pressure to pull the car back. So it's probably better for fuel economy if it's there. Look out for a small early spoiler or an early GTX zender spoiler, as they are much lighter but will give some benefit to the aerodynamics.

You may be struggling to get the same MPG out of the carb though, so will need to get your thinking cap on about that :)
Brunty

roccomole
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by roccomole » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:57 pm

thanks for the encouraging words Brunty..........was expecting some flack to be honest about "not muckin about with a classic design".

I have a friend who fabricates in aluminium so if removing the spoiler is detrimental then i may get him to fab me up a rear wing in ally to do the same job...just lighter! ;)

what about sort of some smooth undertraying? (leaving air for the engine to cool obviously)

50mpg would be a good target! :evil:

I want to improve on breathing/porting flow with the engine......more power foot down....more mpg foot light!

Has anyone on here done megasquirt/megaspark self build igntion/injection?

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Tim and I were discussing an undertray iirc (may have been someone else). I think Tim was thinking about a stage further though and making a diffuser for the back. That could possibly help if you wanted to get a smaller spoiler... I was looking at that idea recently as well after chopping the boot floor out of Daz. Once that's done it's quite easy to visualise the diffuser in place. Need to work out where the exhaust goes though.

I'll be considering Megasquirt when I put FUTs engine together as it's going to be a little different ;)
Brunty

Tim
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Tim » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:46 am

yes, i think it was a conversation we were having.. if you do fit an undertray make it stand proud of the sills by an inch or so.. the way the airflows it will roll down the doors and push you down as the low pressure beneath sucks you down...

as for the exhaust/diffuser issues.. side pipe is easiest but depends wot fuel tank you r using..
inspiration required- would settle for crystal meth
87 rocco
93 405 diesel estate 'bonfire' for work and dog
68 fiat dino coupe
actually got the T25 and wish i hadnt

roccomole
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by roccomole » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:36 pm

thanks for the input guys, i didnt think i'd be taken seriously with this! :lol:

did consider having the exhaust exiting near the rear of the d/side sill (with suitable heatproofing of course)

I plan to do some testing before i start (plus take some pics) & then compare as the changes are made.

with modding the engine, i am planning to home port the head for better flow (as per the advice/pictures on this site), would i be better sticking with the stock grind cam or using the slightly higher lift of an injected/Gti cam efficiency wise?

any input/idea's gratefully received ;)

roccomole
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by roccomole » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:43 pm

well....been a while since i posted on this thread (actually been ages since ive been on the site full stop!)

Car hasnt progressed hugely, side trims removed, simply siliconed the roof gutters to make em' flush (rather than spend a fortune on welding etc before finding it didnt help), fitted 16valve golf mk2 front spoiler/splitter & removed tailgate spoiler & filled holes.

car now see's regular 38-40mpg with normal day-to-day driving (no clutch in down hill antics)

I have some F1 stylee wing mirrors coming as well...............so far all done on the cheap but its already saving me cash on my fuel bills.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:48 pm

We need photographs.
Brunty

roccomole
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by roccomole » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:26 pm

you cant see much apart from the front spoiler in these (oh & the new BBS rims i put on!)

turbo2347
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by turbo2347 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:34 pm

I agree complettely
My 87 skyrocket is more fun than my Proton gti ever was
GO THE ROCKET :thumbup:
You've tried the rest now try the best SCIROCCO twin idf Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1987 MKII GT Project ( Black Bird )