Chat about cars!

Moderator: The Interceptor

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Displaying images.

Post by Brunty »

The image you want to display needs to be hosted somewhere on the internet. The Scirocco UK server just isn't big enough to cope with any extra storage so I've been trying out Photobucket. http://www.photobucket.com

It takes seconds to create an account and get uploading pictures. Once uploaded there is a nifty editing package and you can re-size images etc. (** Just found out that to upload an image the extension of the filename (.jpg .gif etc.) must be in lowercase! **)

To display an image on this forum it has to be below 800 pixels wide, I'm going on the fact that most people today will be using at least a 1024x768 screen resolution so an 800 wide picture won't cause unnecessary scrolling.

With Photobucket you can re-size the image to 800 wide when uploading. Remember to select the image size before selecting the image to upload however ;)

To use the image press the Img button above the post window, the tags [img]and[/img] will appear. Paste the "Direct Link" from Photobucket between the tags and away you go :)
Brunty

Tozzy
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Re: Displaying images.

Post by Tozzy »

I'd like to also recommend - http://imageshack.us/

You don't need an account, they have tons of options once you've uploaded the site as to how to link it, and images never tend to go from their servers. the only thing you need to do, is remember that they're there and what the URL is! I save my important ones in a text file on my pc.

Photobucket is great, but they sometimes stop images from being shown if an image pulls too much bandwidth. I've never had that happen with imageshack, hence it's the one i use for random image uploads. Photobucket has alot more options and is great for multiple images and albums so I do recommend that too but i thought i'd just put up imageshack as an alternative.

la5y

Post by la5y »

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty »

You can either paste that url into the [Img] tag (click the grey button above the box you type into). Or simply copy the "IMG code" text displayed underneath the image in the photobucket album.
Brunty

The Interceptor
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by The Interceptor »

:)
MK 3. Deep black pearl Scirocco R, 280ps.
MK 2. Pearl grey metallic 1.8 GT (project car)

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by Brunty »

I've got a resizing thing running now, so maximum image width is 1280 pixels, it'll resize to 600 and you can click to view at full size :)
Brunty

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk3 R 280

Post by bluestreak56 »

Brunty wrote:I've got a resizing thing running now, so maximum image width is 1280 pixels, it'll resize to 600 and you can click to view at full size :)
sweet
Bluestreak56
Now Scirocco-less :(
64 BMW X4 20D M Sport Auto (Sophisto Grey & Ivory White)

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

Post by Cpt Custom »

Hi Brunty :wave:

I know the above comments give great advice on posting photos using a photobucket account, but I thought the following might be of interest to anyone who, like me, uses Flickr.

I did a similar piece a while ago on another VW site, but it seemed to get lost in an automatic post cull. :o

Anyway, as luck would have it I still had the text on my PC, which I’ve now revised for this site, so here goes ...

Whether you are replying/adding to an existing thread on the forum or starting an entirely new topic the process is just the same. The main thing is that you have a message window open so that you can say what you want and/or post the photo/s in question:

Now open up your Flickr photostream in a separate tab and select the first photo that you want to post onto the forum.

Then click on the Share button/tab. Move your cursor down and select the Grab the HTML/BBCode option off the menu like so:

Once you click on it the top corner of your screen display should look like this:

Now check that the BBCode button is clicked, Flickr often starts with the HTML button selected as the default as it did in the above sample. If this is the case simply click on the BBCode button to select it:

Then decide which size of image you want to use and select it from the drop down menu. Bear in mind that I wouldn’t normally go smaller than 500 and the forum only allows you to post images up to 1280 pixels wide so choose wisely. On Flickr I'd probably recommmend you select Large 1024 x 680:

Once you’ve ensured you have the BBCode button and your desired size option selected the next thing is to copy the link/code you need. The problem with the latest updates of Flickr though is that it won't now let you just select the piece of script/text you want, instead when you click on it everything is copied: even the pieces of code you might not want to use, but more on that later:

So, you’ve copied the code from Flickr and now you need to paste it into your message window here on the forum:

As I said earlier, if you just want to post a photo you don’t need all of the code that’s been copied, you just need the section highlighted below so simply delete the rest:

Now you should be ready to post the photo or go through the same process to add yet more photos. If you are doing loads then I’d suggest you create your text initially in a word processor like Microsoft Word. That’s certainly what I do as I find it easier to work with all that code in a bigger window. Once I have it all done that’s when I copy and paste it into my forum post.

Apologies folks if I’ve managed to make something that’s fairly simple sound rather complex, but I’m sure if you follow what I’ve said you’ll find it’s actually quite easy.

Now, if you want to be more advanced you might want to read the following section, which explains what the different pieces of code you initially copy across allow you to do and what different effects they produce within your post. If not, just get posting your photos.

Photo will display, but as a hyperlink and have information about your Flickr account e.g. the photo title (if it has one) and your username on Flickr:

DSC_2287 by Auto Fantasia, on Flickr

Photo will display, still acting as a hyperlink, but this time with no additional information about your Flickr account:

Photo will display, but just as an image. There will be no hyperlink through to Flickr and no information about your Flickr account, just like we discusssed in the first section of this little tutorial:

This will simply display information about about your Flickraccount e.g. the photo title (if it has one) and your username on Flickr. The text will serve as hyperlinks to the photo and your Flickr profile respectively:

DSC_2287 by Auto Fantasia, on Flickr

And there you go, that’s about all there is to it although it’s maybe worth mentioning that if someone clicks on any of these Flickr hyperlinks it takes them away from this site and they’d need to use their back button to return 'home' to the forum. For example, if you click on an image that's been posted as a hyperlink then that image will open in a separate window, but at the same time the tab in which you were viewing the forum will go through to Flickr.

Anyway, I hope all this makes some kind of sense and that it actually proves useful to someone out there. Good luck!

:thumbup:
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v

Old Mac Rocco
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

I'm going to have a look at Flickr as I think P/bucket have lost the place with their new set-up.
I am having nothing but problems with it and find it hard to follow.
I'll keep this ^^^^^^^ in mind when choosing a new pic host.
I drive a 1987 Mk 11 Scirocco GT 1.6 Carb - daily driver.

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by Cpt Custom »

Old Mac Rocco wrote:I'm going to have a look at Flickr ...
Sandy, as far as I know you can open a free account that'll let you host up to 200 photos. If you want to host more than that you need to take out a Pro Account like I have, which currently costs $24.95 a year. Then you can host as many photos as you want ... I currently have over 4,000 at no extra cost.

One other thing to bear in mind is that I seem to remember you need a Yahoo email account to open a Flickr account, but that's easily set up and free!
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v