Anyone HOT on insurance advice?

Chat about cars!

Moderator: The Interceptor

STEVIEG08

Anyone HOT on insurance advice?

Post by STEVIEG08 »

Last edited by STEVIEG08 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: Anyone HOT on insurance advice?

Post by Brunty »

There is a little fella that pops on here every now and then who is into insurance, I've let him know about your question.

IMO, you need to be very firm with the insurance co's, also, I don't think you should be needing to talk to the "enemy" co as your co should do that for you.

Also, if you could prove that you'd stopped before impact I believe that it would make it default in your favour.
Brunty

STEVIEG08

Post by STEVIEG08 »

Last edited by STEVIEG08 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittlePaul
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by LittlePaul »

Hi STEVIEG,

Ill try my best with this... Ill reply bit by bit to help with your issue...

"I had my car wrote off 2wks ago & the other drivers insurer offered me £2400 for my vehicle
**When did they offer you, and how did they offer you? (was it in writing?)***

"My insurer said if they offer you a price they are basically accepting liability for their driver & it will go down as a non-fault on my file"
**Who is your insurer/their insurer if you dont mine telling me? (PM if that helps!!) As different Insurance companies try different a approach to just get a low acceptance. If an insurer offers you a settlement is VERY important to make sure they confirm liability in writing, verbal acceptance on your behalf could cause problems with them paying out but you still being found at fault - crazy I know... so its very important you get it in writing! (the reason they do this is to mitigate any costs further down the line...)

"They rang me a week later to see what i decided to do & they said that i was offered £1200 as they were classing it as a 50/50 accident"
**When you say they Im assuming your talking about the third party insurance co? Insurance companies are getting more and more tight when paying out - any information, or information read by another claims handler and taken in a different view can change liability, on a plus with a 50/50 offer if you dont claim your £1200 its not a claim thus it wont affect your NCB - you will need to advise you had an accident but there was no settlement - ie non fault!

"...the other drivers insurer admitted liability & would take on the claim if i was happy to do so"
**Was this before or after the 50/50 settlement offer - its not that clear in your post. Insurance co's can say that to get you onboard with them to save money - they have no legal obligation to stick with their initial findings - Even if you settled now as not at fault, technically, if new information comes to light within the next 3 years, it could still change!!! (rarerly does tho!)

"Does anyone know if they can REVERSE a decision of liability?."
**Yes they can as long as they have a reason - and can demonstrate this reason - i.e new info, new pictures, damage reports etc**

"...The other drivers insurer offered a free courtesy car..."
** this is a cost saving excersize to stop you going and getting a "credit hire" where a company like http://www.easidrive.com (others are available) who will give you a like for like car - a Lexus will see them give you a 5 Series BMW/Eclass Merc etc etc with same engine size as yours for around £150 a day until the claim is settled - so getting you into a Focus at £20 a day is cost affective, and if liability is found in your favour they save, if it goes against you they send your insurer the bill... an Example of this was a 1998 Range Rover was ran into by a Saxo - a nice and easy rear end shunt and the owner of the Range Rover went into Credit Hire, the Saxo driver, tried to, claim the range rover reversed into him. While the investigations were taking place by various Car Estimators for both insurance co's libility was ping-pong between the two companies - Anyway the repair to the Range Rover was just under £1500 and the hire bill for the 28 days was a massive £9700. This is why insurers want you to get in with them from the hop! They will and do say ANYTHING to get you onside, it will never be in writing unless its clearly a fault claim and libility is not disputed**

"There basing it as a 50/50 because there were no witness's & they said 99% of the time, thats what they do..."
**This is a method of insurance companies teaming up to save one sole expensive claim and a way of many people just accepting it. If you have compelling accident damage that shows facts put your case forward, strongly, "you will not accept 50/50 - period" check if you have legal cover and say you will want to use it no matter what.**

"...i was exiting a bend on an un-marked road so i had right of way imo, there was a car parked illegally on the bend but imo the other driver should of been aware of that vehicle & drove accordingly..."
**Can you explain exact location of this accident, as im not sure what you mean by "un-marked road". Also, you mention a car parked illegally, is this in your opinion or advised by police (if attended!) as this could change who is actually at fault i.e - both drivers claim of said parked car**

"i do have photographs of the scene (which no-one as asked for yet, 2wks following the accident)"
** Have your insurance co - or the other party's insurer seen these pictures yet? (was offer made without seeing these??)

"There is damage to the curb which matches her near-side damage which it situated just up from the bend on her side( Impact would of been made before the curb damage as it wasn't a slow accident & her momentum would of continued for a couple of seconds at least ) she smashed into my OSF with her OSF as shes tried to swerve to avoid me, so she as damage on both sides of her vehicle, my lexus had its wishbone damaged, headlight area & wing damage, so it certainly wasn't a slow impact."
*Accident damage can never be relied on as there are clear at fault accidents ive been involved with but the Accident Damage actually goes in the favour of the at fault driver, but will def help build a case along with all other info available to help gain liability.

"My main worry is, that she's a police officer & im thinking she would get preferential treatment, might be just me, but in this day and age, nothing surprises me anymore."
**you are right to be worried. The fact she is a police officer does make her an upstanding member of the community and what she says will have twice the power/impact you say - which could be the reason libility was accepted (as the other insurer may not have had her full statement etc and when it arrived she will no doubt use the phrase "as a police officer" with "police car driving training" splashed all over your libility claim will have to be 110% squeeky clean to get her insurance co to stand down.

You do have a case, yes.

I used to do this for a living and have managed to get things turned around rather well...
If you can get the location, the accident damage, the insurance co's names involved to me and what the very last stance from both your insurance co and the other drivers co too. ill put a little something together for you to have a look at and see what happens... How have you left it with your insurance co? Is your car still off road? Are you in hire/Courtesy car? (if so who supplied/supplies it - Your co or her co?)

PM me for more... :)
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty »

:shock:

:thumbup: Cheers dude ;)
Brunty

LittlePaul
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by LittlePaul »

Brunty wrote::shock:

:thumbup: Cheers dude ;)
No worries. Its good to help fellow SUK'ers (coudlnt help the pun there!)
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

STEVIEG08

Post by STEVIEG08 »