Moderator: The Interceptor

Andy
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Used to own one

Re: Insurance

Post by Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 am

Im insured with HIC,

Im 21, with 3 years no claims, done pass plus, CAT 1 alarm and im still paying £808 TPFT for my 1.8i 8v Scala.
that price is however over £180 cheaper than anyone else!

LittlePaul
I drive a: Mk2 1.8 Injection

Post by LittlePaul » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 am

Hey Andy,

£808 of your hard earned cash?!?!? WOW!!! Did you try Swift Cover? Or Tesco? - Both I have used on and off and I dont think I have ever paid £808 for insurance... (tesco are giving 3 months free at the moment, and if you have a club card, you get points (which mean money) off spending in Tesco (food or petrol!)

Here is a wee tip... Try lowering your annual mileage (how muhc by is up to you)... Nearly no insurer askes you to prove this, and if they do just doctor the mileage on your photo copys of the MOT certificates that you will need to send them as thats the only way they can check how much driving you have done!!! I dont think its illegal to do it, its just breaking their terms and conditions... which I am sure some on here will throw a hissy over, and argue the case, but if it saves you some cash - cant be a bad thing?!?!? I think its just like their demographics which they also use which is an unfair way of charging you more!!!

ps for anyone who wants to argue this - buy claiming your driving less dosent make you a bad driver!!!!

LP
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk3 R 280

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:45 am

Andy try brentacre

Im 23, 0 NCB 1 SP30 with a GT2 modified engine to a 16v Gti, power steering, alloys, bee stinger, lowered 40mm, uprated brakes, speakers, stereo, smoked indies and tails etc etc etc

They and HIC were the only 2 companies to quote me under £1000

I got 5000 miles, Fully Comp, myself, mum and dad for £980 from them I think.. (they just undercut HIC to get my business basically)
Bluestreak56
Now Scirocco-less :(
64 BMW X4 20D M Sport Auto (Sophisto Grey & Ivory White)

LittlePaul

Post by LittlePaul » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 am

Where do you guys live? Is it Getto land of the UK or is the the West Side of the Bronx? Or maybe just Lanark?!?! (Sorry brunty!)

A 17 year old with 14 drink driving offences, and 5 SP30's, 3 SP50's and 2 SP175's surly can get lower payments than that?!?!?

Someone somewhere is getting rich on us Scirocco Drivers...

Andy, Try putting your dad, mum or Granny - someone older as a named driver... I remember doing that once and it brough my premium down buy a few quid!!!

LP
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

Andy
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Used to own one

Post by Andy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:09 am

my dad is on it, didnt make any difference, i also put lower annual mileage on.
i tried pretty much everyone, they were all saying over £900.
and apparently i do live in a ghetto, im surrounded by shitty areas so that doesnt help.
Ive never had cheap insurance, even on my 1ltr suzuki swift i was paying (some of u who pay little for your insurance will probably faint) £1400!!!! that was fully comp, with my dad on, and pass plus with about 5000 miles for the year! that was my first car.

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 am

I live in west london ..

The major problems with me are the 0years NCB and my age and sp30 ... when I was getting quotes on GT2's before buying my car they were about £650, scala injected's were about £750..

Was A LOT cheaper with heritage classic car insurance (just got a quote on a 16v GTX with 500 miles a year only myself as the insurer) for £543

But they wouldnt insure me last year as I had an SP30 (even though its 3 years old now) and they dont insure anyone under 21 either.

Not sure how they would take to a modified car..

Theyre another option for you Andy if you qualify..
Bluestreak56

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Post by Brunty » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Blimey, I do remember those days... I once told Norwich Union that I'd put a sports exhaust on my 1ltr Mini, never again!!!

I was only paying something like £350 for the Elise, fully comp.

I put on a pretty low annual mileage, about 5000 or so, as I don't commute and have a choice of cars when they're all working :lol: Also adding a female to your policy lowers it, even if they are just a friend.

Keep the car in a garage too. Also consider, if the car is stolen or written off. Would you claim on the insurance? Most of our cars are only worth a few hundred pounds to the insurer anyway, and if you do have any NCB that would go. You'd end up paying far more than the car was worth over the next 3 years, so put a high voluntary excess assuming that you are extremely unlikely to claim on it.

I've just got a pretty awesome quote for my new car (which I shall post up about soon), but I think it sounds too cheap!
Brunty

LittlePaul

Post by LittlePaul » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:51 pm

Brunty wrote:... Also adding a female to your policy lowers it, even if they are just a friend.
He he he "Just a friend" he he he - Giggle giggle... Thats a chat up line and a half....

Brunty walks up to a girl, at a bar with his leather pants on:

"Hi there, wanna be on my insurance"?
Girl replies,
"well, ok then, but only if we are just friends"
Brunty smiles to the camera, sticks up his thumbs, and they head off into the distance together.... he he
Little Paul
Cars:
VW Scirocco GTX

bluestreak56
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja

Post by bluestreak56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 pm

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA Damn ! Nice one LP ;)
Bluestreak56

black_angel
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular

Post by black_angel » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 am

I have to say, never go with Swift. They are the cheapest usually but god help you if you ever have to claim. When I first got insurance on a scirocco, 9 years ago, it was £1400. Where you live makes a huge difference it seems. I'm a lot happier now I've got both the Volvo and Elise insured with the Admiral multi car thing for £800 total (so almost £400 each in a city).