New member. Hello and help with wheel situation.

New to the forum? Say hello here.

Moderator: The Interceptor

TheHamster
I drive a: Used to own one

New member. Hello and help with wheel situation.

Post by TheHamster »

Hey everyone,

Just registered to this forum to join the Scirocco community and to help others and seek help.
I've got a Blue 2.0 GT which I love! But today is not a good day. I hit a pot hole the other night and burst a tyre. Took it to the garage to get sorted. The wheel was badly dented. In an attempt of of trying to straighten it out the alloy cracked and is now useless. I have the R style alloys on which seem to be an expensive breed of wheels from what I've been reading and seeing online.

I have seen a few replicas on eBay which look the part but I have been told to stay away as the metal can be "thin". Is the technician scaremongering or is this genuinely the case? any advice on where to purchase a decent R alloy or a set of 4 with a completely new style (if that's is the cheaper option)?

Hello again! And sorry to open up on such negative note. Thanks for any help/advice.

Ram

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: New member. Hello and help with wheel situation.

Post by Brunty »

Welcome :wave:

You've got a few choices. Wheels from VW are very expensive, about the price for a set of wheels elsewhere for one from VW. But if you only need one you could try and find a replacement on ebay/forums.

Buy a complete set of something else like The Interceptor did (far right in the photo). Possibly cheaper than you think if you shop around.

Or, visit some alloy wheel repairers. They can weld up cracked wheels which should be just as strong as when new.
Brunty

The Interceptor
Scirocco UK Senior
Scirocco UK Senior

Re: New member. Hello and help with wheel situation.

Post by The Interceptor »

You can get a set of wheels in good nick and often with tyres for the price of one new wheel from VW. Try a couple of the mk3 forums such as scirocco owners network or scirocco central. I got an immaculate set of genuine wheels for £475
MK 3. Deep black pearl Scirocco R, 280ps.
MK 2. Pearl grey metallic 1.8 GT (project car)