National Drive It Day: Sunday 21st April, 2013 ...

Cpt Custom
Scirocco UK Regular
Scirocco UK Regular
I drive a: Mk2 1.6 Carb

National Drive It Day: Sunday 21st April, 2013 ...

Post by Cpt Custom »

I've not seen anything on the forums about this national event so I thought I'd flag it up as it might interest anyone who enjoys seeing old cars, be they VWs or otherwise.

First, for those like me that haven't heard of it before, a little history lesson ...

Every year National Drive It Day is purposefully held on the Sunday nearest to 23 April. Why? That’s because it commemorates the 64 cars that left London on the first day of the Thousand Mile Trial on 23 April 1900.

The Royal Automobile Club Thousand Mile Trial started in London and passed through Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester - travelled through Scotland - then passed back through more English locations until they were back in London again.

The tour lasted until May 12th and forty six out of the approximately sixty-five starting cars made it to the finish line.

The official website appears to be the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, but there's not much on there that I can see in terms of specific events happening around the country.

A better source of info apart from a Google search on your area along with "National Drive It Day" might be Classic Shows UK which is a valuable all year round reference point for what's happening.

They have quite a few Drive It Day events listed across the country so there's quite a good chance there'll be one near you. Many of them are being organised by single marque clubs, hence the FBHVC involvement, but most of them are actively encouraging owners of other cars to participate.

Sadly, whilst the sun is shining here today the forecast for tomorrow is rather grim. :thumbdown:
1987 D reg Mk2 Scirocco Tornado Red GT 1.6 8v
1987 E reg Mk2 Scirocco Alpine White GT 1.6 8v

Brunty
Scirocco UK Ninja
Scirocco UK Ninja
I drive a: Mk2 Modified

Re: National Drive It Day: Sunday 21st April, 2013 ...

Post by Brunty »

Sounds fun. Real shame I'm working :(

It's funny to think that on last new years day The Interceptor and myself did a 1000 mile round trip up to Scotland and back in the one day. Did 60-odd to the gallon too, gotta love the modern Scirocco :)
Brunty